About Deep Creek - Great Smoky Mountains
National Park Service
Hike In
No Sanitary Dump
Deep Creek - Great Smoky Mountains is located in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina
13 Reviews of Deep Creek - Great Smoky Mountains
Deep Creek staffs treat their customers extremely poorly!

We have stayed at Deep Creek for 2 years, this would have been our 3rd. We had to cancel our reservation and attempted several times to call to cancel and was not able to get in touch. We sent two emails, the first 3 weeks prior to our reservation, with no response. They now will not reimburse us(minus the$20 deposit as policy) claiming that we are cancelling"the day of" our reservation. Not only were they unresponsive and not available to receive our multiple calls, as we're talking to them about the situation, the lady talked over me and said she"would reimburse us no earlier than next tuesday(after the weekend) pending if they're able to rent out our campsite, have a nice day" then hung up on me(!!). While we've had a nice experience in years past here, we will never return and support a business that treats customers like this. It's completely inexcusable!

National Park Campground with Lots of Tubing, Waterfalls, Hikes, etc.

I have been to several campgrounds in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and this is one of my favorites except for one thing. I don’t like the bathroom facility. I can get over it not having showers or hot water, but I have to remember each time to take my own soap and towel if I want to wash my hands. Other than that, I love this campground. When I checked in, I had to use a pay station, the first time I’ve had to do that, and interaction with any rangers or hosts was nonexistent. I really don’t mind that since I want to get away from people(other than my own family and friends) when I camp. I was lucky enough to stay at this campground before the summer season kicks in fully. If you go during peak season, plan to be in the middle of dozens of campers, IF you can get a site. Some of the campsites are within spitting distance of each other, so be prepared to meet your neighbors. This campground is in the middle of a popular area, which is close to creek tubing and waterfall hiking. In the past, I have seen HUNDREDS of people tubing along the creek and the trails to the waterfalls are crowded. However, if you go before peak season hits, avoid the most popular times, and go on weekdays, crowds are no problem, and it is very peaceful. The tent sites beside the creek, have picnic tables, lantern posts, and tent pads. Fortunately, the gravel on the tent pads is shallow enough that you can drive tent stakes down if you need to. The RV sites are in a different section, and they have pull-through and back-in sites. There are no water, electricity, or sewer hookups, so if you are in an RV, be prepared to be self-contained. Across the creek is the picnic area, and down the road farther into the park there is a picnic shelter. Another few hundred yards down the national park road and you will come to a parking area. From there, you can hike to three waterfalls. The most popular of the waterfalls is Tom Branch Falls. You will find visitors there almost any time you go, but it will be even more crowded during the summer. I have never been to this waterfall when there were not people there, and I have been there at least a dozen times. Within a short driving distance, there are other attractions as well. The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad is downtown, the Road to Nowhere is a short drive out of town, and down the road there are several businesses where you can rent tubes for tubing on the creek. I will want to go back to this campground, but I do not want to go during peak season.

Best Campground in NC

We have been camping for years, and hands down Deep Creek is the best. I recommend calling at least 6 months ahead during the summer months to get a creekside spot. The location is just outside Bryson City NC. And offers fine dining and craft brewed beers from the Nantahala Brewing Co. Just 15 minutes from the NOC offering rafting zip lining, and mountain biking. I can't say enough good things about this Campground.

Creekside Camping

Beautiful campsites next to Deep Creek. Great location - secluded and not well known, so not overcrowded which is a plus. Definitely worth a visit!

A Hikers Dream

We spent 3 amazing nights and 4 days hiking the Smokys with 40lb packs and good vibes. I loved this campground along with all the others. The hikes were brutal at some points but the views were always worth it. The best part about the 14 mile days was the whiskey and the river.

Amazing location alongside Deep Creek.

The campground is full of tent sites and RVs accommodations w power. My fiancé and I set up a pop up tent and a two man tent to spend the first night. It was downhill from a bathroom, which was convenient, but the bathrooms didn’t have any light switches(?). So bring a headlamp. The campground is situated next to a ton of trails into the backcountry. You have to file a permit with the park rangers, just like any other backcountry trip. We went about 14 miles on our second day, spent the night alongside Deep Creek, and came back that morning. I gave the place 4 stars because there are no showers to bath in and no light switches in the bathroom. I understand there are no showers throughout the Smokies, but the light switches thing really ground my gears at midnight when I had to use the restroom.

Family friendly

This is a family owned and operated campground that also offers tube rentals for Deep Creek. The campground is located on the creek with multiple playgrounds for kids, country store with ice cream, and goats for kids to feed. They also offer cabins for rent. We’ve camped here twice and both times we stayed in a tent on an RV site on the creek. The site was small, but it didn’t matter because we were right next to the creek and the roar of the water at night is so soothing. They have bathrooms and private bath house with hot water which was really nice. Negatives are the price -$45/nt for creek sites and small sites, but we love this campground and hope to visit every summer with our 2 growing boys.

Gorgeous area

I love this area for camping and hiking.

lovely tentsite

beautiful area but very crowded. loud during the day and lots of tube traffic but good for the money

Next to a beautiful creek and some great hiking with several waterfalls!

The tent sites are located next to the creek and equipped with tent pad, fire pit, and picnic table. Drive through and select your site before paying to get a nice spot. The restrooms are clean but no showers. The creek is beautiful but can get busy on a sunny day with tubers floating down.