About Cathedral Gorge State Park
Cathedral Gorge State Park is located in Nevada
11 Reviews of Cathedral Gorge State Park
Ranger Review: Kuga Campervan at Cathedral Gorge State Park

Campground Review: Cathedral Gorge State Park is a beautiful spot of geologic mystery. When you are driving in, you will wonder what the appeal is initially and then BAM! The first small cathedral formation shows up on your right and you are awestruck. You head off to the campground where you are greeted with a large pile of firewood for sale, an intro sign and pay kiosk, and plenty of campsites. Granted it was late December in the middle of the week but I was basically the only person in the entire campground. There was one other RV there but it was very quiet and calm at the site. The sites were mostly level but were rocky dirt so tent camping would have been a bit tricky. Each site has a picnic table, fire pit, and shelter over the table. There were free hot showers on the main campground side and the water was very hot and the bathrooms were heated too. Flushing toilets and sinks were well maintained.

The amphitheater is right next to the bathroom and in between sites so if there is an event happening there it might be loud for the closest sites. The group sites are across the road from the main campground so they are easily accessed by the other site. In the group site there are single stall bathrooms and more showers but they took money. I didn’t see a sign for how much they cost.

There is also a handicap campsite next to the bathrooms on level paved ground so it would be best for van or RV camping.

There is a trail that you can take straight to the main attraction of the park, the caves. They were absolutely stunning. It was so much fun to play in all the slots and explore on your own. They aren’t super long so it would take a lot to get lost. But be careful, it is crumbly and slippery in snow. I ended up hiking from the campground all the way up to Miller’s Point lookout and back in about an hour. It was a great spot to check out for sunset. I was solo out there so I was able to really appreciate the beauty of the park and the creation of the formations. You can see the rock formations in all stages of life. It’s a great spot to hike, bike, and play.

Travellers Autobarn Kuga Campervan Review(Cooking): While out volunteering over a week for the Audubon Bird Counts, I was able to evaluate the AWESOME Kuga campervan. Check it out: https://www.travellers-autobarnrv.com/campervan-rv-rentals/kuga-campervan/

Since I was gone for 7 days, I broke my evaluation up into sections where the most important features of the van were utilized. If you want to see the rest, check out my reviews for Pahranagat Wildlife Refuge, Cathedral Gorge State Park, Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge, Desert Wildlife Refuge, and Big Dune Recreation Area

This company is awesome, they come from Australia and New Zealand and we are super excited to have a truly affordable rental camper van in the United States! You can rent out different sizes and get an array of gear with them. This is perfect for music festivals, road trips, and for camping in extreme weather.

• Cooking: In order to cook in the van you will need to get out of the van and turn on the propane tank. It’s a good idea to leave the door to the tank open too for extra ventilation. This makes it a bit frustrating when you have to keep going in and out to open and shut the door/turn it on and off but that is campervan life. You will also need to open the top vent(and maybe even the fan) when you are cooking. When you get ready to take off, you will need to shut all the open doors and top vent so it doesn’t get caught on anything or taken in the wind. You will need to pay for the propane tank to be refilled or prepay for the tank before you leave.
  • Water: There is a 14 gallon tank on board and I didn’t even come close to using it all on my 7 day trip. There is a switch you will need to turn on in order to activate the pump. Make sure you turn it off at night so the pump doesn’t freeze! There is not a garbage disposal in the sink so make sure your plates are scraped off before you wash them. Don’t put garbage down the sink. It is only cold water for dishes so you will need to boil some water and fill the sink in order to scrub dishes properly. I used the sink for storage of clean and drying dishes when I was travelling too. You will need to empty the tank when you are done. It is easy flip open of a toggle underneath the edge of the van.
  • Food storage: There is plenty of counter space but no way to keep the food from moving around so with the cabinets filled with gear, I had to do some rearranging to get food stored in there too. The fridge was totally big enough for what I needed for my trip(lunch meat, cheese, dips, condiments, beer, and veggies). I even had some ice cream and whiskey in the freezer. It stayed nice and cold due to being run by the solar panels. The microwave is run off external power so you will need to be connected to an electrical outlet in order to use it. The cables are supplied in the van.
Beautiful setting

Inexpensive camping in a beautiful canyon. It has showers that may or may not be cold. We experienced a range of temps from ice cold to semi-warm. They have pay showers also available that are hot. WiFi is also available for a fee. Easy access to small and longer hikes was really nice.

Wonderful sunset

Walk ups only no reservation I came into this campground around 4pm on a Friday in July a little worried about finding a spot. When I arrived I was relieved to see more than half of the sites were open. Easy pay system $15 to camp clean bathroom and a shower!! Which you may need if you plan on hiking it gets pretty hot but we enjoyed our shaded picnic table. Nights were cool a must see the caves were magnificent great stop on the 93. Do it!

Very Unique location

Nice little campground located in the Cathedral Gorge State Park in Eastern central Nevada. Sites are first come first serve. Each has Electrical hook ups, but no sewer/dump facilities. Bathrooms have running water and a shower which is very nice. The hiking trails are great and provide lots of exploring on the Cathedral Gorge.

Steve, the “Happy Camper”

Beautiful surroundings

Nice campsites might be a little muddy if it has rained.  A couple of nice hikes with lots to see.  We had plenty of wildflowers to add to the beauty of the unique geology.  Campsites were somewhat close together.  Sun shades. tables, and fire rings at the sites.  Water available with a dump station down the road.  Bathrooms with showers were clean.

Small, busy campground surrounded by beautiful landscapes

This campground is super busy in the fall. We arrived at approx 3 pm and there were only 3 sites available. Within the next 20 minutes, the entire campground was full. The next day, as people left, people filled the spots. The sites are really small and close together. There are fire rings at every site, but grills at about half of them. Our site didn't have a grill, but we managed ok. The awesome thing about this campground is that there are electric hookups at every site, which was very convenient for charging the phone, iPad and charge box! Wifi is available for a small fee which was awesome also! The bathrooms were very clean and heated, and even had a free shower!

The nature hike to the slit canyons was super short and the kids loved exploring the caves!

Secluded

Nice spot to relax no close highways. Nice hike around camp.

Super Clean and Quiet

Very clean well stocked REAL bathrooms with flushing toilets, sink and Mirror. Shower available. (I didnt use it, but heard from someone in our group that it was coin operated, and he was very pleased with length of shower and temperature). Campsite had a fire pit, trash cans, and covered table with lights that come on at night. Campground is in walking distance to all of the amazing sites and things to explore. The rangers were very nice, informative and helpful. They spent quality time with our group givjng us ideas on what to see and do to get the most bang for our time there.

Awesome Place for an Overnight

We stopped here on a road trip last year. We were just passing through and saw a sign for a campground and decided to camp for the night. The campground is a little oasis in the desert, with just a few sites situated among small trees and scrubby plants. The night we stayed - on a weekday in July, there were just three other campsites being used.

What we noticed right away, before we even started exploring the park, was that the wildlife was super tame. The jackrabbits and lizards came right into our campsite to check us out, and there were birds singing everywhere - not what we expected from a desert landscape. We hiked the short trail over to the cathedral area. The sun was setting and we were greeted by a family of desert foxes. We didn't get to close to them, but they were super curious about us and wanted to investigate. The babies were running in and out of the labyrinth of rock pillars and caverns. It was the cutest thing ever. We didn't stay long because we didn't want to disturb them.

The next morning we hiked the main trail to an overlook, which was really awesome. We left before the sun got too hot. I'm not sure this park would be a great destination for a vacation, because you can pretty much see all there is to see in a few hours, but it is a beautiful clean campground for an overnight, and I will definitely stop by again if I'm in the area. Also, I hear the star gazing is amazing here. It was cloudy night we arrived.

Remote, just the way camping should be

I don't understand how this isn't more popular. The geography here is unlike any I've seen anywhere else and my girlfriend and I were essentially the only people out there, with the exception of two other couples utilizing campers. Well, in addition to the ranger who informed us the temperaturewould drop into the high teens, being that we ventured here back in March. There was wood offered to campers, based on an honor system where you paid for the amount one needed. The ranger we spoke with was extremely nice and informative. The best part was the bathrooms which were impeccably spotless. Avoid the crowds that National parks get and enjoy this gorgeous campsite/hiking area!