Pets Unknown
About West Rolling Hills

West Rolling Hills is a comfortable campground with a site layout that maximizes views of the sparkling Milford Lake.

An expanse of 33,000 acres surrounding the lake is public, protected land that's home to an array of wildlife. It's also an ideal setting for outdoor recreation like hiking, swimming, hunting and driving off-road vehicles.

Click here for the Milford Lake Virtual Tour.

Recreation

Activities include boating, swimming, fishing, hunting, hiking, wildlife viewing and biking.

Nearly 70% of the land resources are available for public hunting and the park has a fish cleaning station for anglers returning from a successful trip.

Facilities

The loop A campground has modern conveniences like showers and flush toilets. Most of these sites have electric and water hookups, as well.

The Thunderbird Marina is a easy starting point for a day on the lake, while an on-site playground provides fun for families.

Free camping opportunities are available for visitors looking for basic camping with vault toilets.

Natural Features

Milford Lake is fed by the Republican River and stands as the largest man-made lake in Kansas, with a surface area of 15,700 acres and 163 miles of shoreline.

Nearby Attractions

The Milford Nature Center and Fish Hatchery is nearby, below the dam and a golf course is adjacent to the nature center.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$14.00 - $21.00
US Army Corps of Engineers
West Rolling Hills is located in Kansas
Directions
Take I-70 to exit 290, then 5 miles to 244, then east 1/2 mile to park entrance.
4 Reviews of West Rolling Hills
Not open when I visited in Late Aug

So I was excited after seeing so many great reviews for this campground. Even more so when I arrived and saw how beautiful green and lush the area was. I did however discover the campground was locked and a sign had been placed at the entrance of the camp that it would not be opening again until April 2020.

A little confused because there were RV campers inside I explored inside and around and discovered this is partially due to recent rains flooding a portion of the campground. I completely understood that however the elevated RV spaces were still functional and not at risk.

The location itself is beautiful with lake views on 2 sides of the camp. You are only a short distance from the boat launch and day use area which have many more signs of recent rain with trees nearly completely underwater in this area.

The roads are paved, wide and well maintained. The bathrooms available on site are mainly vault toilets however in the camp there are some improvements.

Tent camping is only $14 well worth it if the campground were open in my opinion!! I will for sure be coming back!

A beautiful spot right on the lake and Dragonflies galore

Gotta say this was my first attempt at free camping and this place did not disappoint. Since my stay I have learned the area I camped has been designated as day use only by the ACoE, but I say as long as there aren't signs posted, (there weren't when I went) you're safe to set up camp. You turn into the park and before the pay sites, there are two left turns, the first is for RVs and the second is for tents and cars. We arrived the first weekend after Labor Day 2018 and we only saw 2-3 other campers there, and we even made a friend for the night. In total I would say there are about 7-8 official sites with fire rings, but there is plenty of space regardless. We arrived at dusk and as soon as we got our tents up we were greeted by the largest swarm of dragonflies I had ever seen in my life. Didn't have an issue with bitey bugs, but the bugs were plentiful. The lake is nice too, with cranes swooping in and out and we were treated to a wonderful sunrise. That place was just overall a good omen for the beginning of our trip. We plan to use this place as our main waypoint to the west.(Hope to run into you again someday, James!)

Smaller campground on Milford Lake

They keep it pretty clean considering how busy it stays. The staff is really friendly. Sometimes it gets a little noisy in the evening due to a few of the more partying type campers but that is not too often.

Nice camping spots close to lake friendly camp hosts

Our families camp there every year. The spots are nice. Every third is a pull in non reservable site. Lake side spots. Friendly camp hosts. Great campground.