Standard (Tent/RV)
Hike In
RVs and Trailers
Hitchcock County Nature Center is located in Iowa
13 Reviews of Hitchcock County Nature Center
Fantastic educational site with extensive trails

When I think of “nature center” I think of a stuffy little cabin with taxidermy. This site is far far more than that, with hiking trails, educational programs, a museum, event halls, and of course camping. Local friends told us about it, otherwise we would have never found it. Make sure to look at their events calendar, they have exceptional programs for all ages (and especially kids). I learned about this park from Pheasants Forever, a nonprofit.

Yay: well tended and updated campground. You can camp all year (but I think they turn the water off?)

Nay: no reservations (but supposedly they don’t fill up completely?)

Surprise: make sure you talk to the rangers!

Great trails

The trails are well marked and easy to follow. I was very impressed on the hike in campsites. They already have a nice flat spot for your tent, although I'm a hammock camper. The views from the two south east campsites are amazing, looking over the Missouri River valley and the Omaha skyline in the distance.

Loess hills getawayg

The park has cabins, rv sites, tent camping and backcountry hike in camping. The nature center is a nice place to cool down the the summer and learn about the loess hills. The backcountry campsite have pads with pea gravel for tents and fire rings. Nice and quiet.