Pets Unknown
About Kalopa State Rec Area - Hawaii
Kalopa State Rec Area - Hawaii is located in Hawaii
5 Reviews of Kalopa State Rec Area - Hawaii
So much fun

The Kalopa State Rec Area park/beach is one of my favorites. It has such a jungle feel to it is why I think I really love it. It is located in Honokaa. There are so many beautiful plants and trees, and the people who work there say that they are pretty rare plants. The hibiscus plants are amazing, and they are everywhere. Loved seeing these flowers everywhere that I walked. The weather was okay when we went. It rained quite a bit, it was damp and pretty cloudy. One thing we enjoyed doing was hikes nearby. You can do the Kalopa Nature Trail. It is super easy, and only about 1 mile long. The loop takes you through all the gorgeous greenery and pretty trees. You can stay in little cabins in the campground, which were about $90 per night. A lot cheaper than staying in a hotel. You can also camp, which we didnt do but I saw that it costs around $20 a night to do this, even cheaper! The cabins were pretty small. There was 4 of us staying in here, and it felt a little tight. We made it work, though! Restaurants are nearby, maybe a 10 minute drive. Some great yummy places to eat. There is also a grocery store around there too. We went here and grabbed a few groceries to have for snacks, breakfast and dinners. We also went down to the beach that isnt far away. Drove about 15 minutes to reach the beach. Loved swimming and body boarding.

Great hiking, and a nice cool place to escape the heat.

Kalopa is one of my favorite campgrounds here on the Big Island. the cabins are affordable, and including a large dining hall with a kitchen. The kitchen does have a few pots and pans, but if you want coffee, bring a press. Showers in the cabin are small, but nice and hot. Just don't forget to turn on the water heater. Since this location is up in the mountains, it is cold at night. It rains often, and has a wonderfully magical mist that hangs around morning and evening. My husband and I chose this location to get married, since it is such a beautiful and cool spot, hurricane Issel had other plans for us. The trails there range from easy to difficult. The native plants in the area are beautiful, there is even a small gated garden with all the native plants inside labeled. The staff at the park are a wealth of knowledge, and are amazingly kind.

Undescriblable

Year round accessibilty. Phenominal views of the mountains and ocean.Super friendly camplers on site!

"Coolest" place to camp

I live on the island, but down at sea level. I had always wanted to come up and camp here because the nights are cool and the tent site is in the woods. Some times we need to escape the heat. :) It is a small location that needs to be reserved in advance. The cost is different for residents and visitors. We stayed at the tent sites, but have heard good things about the cabins. There are three tent sites, with a men and women bathroom and large shared pavilion. I liked how the sites have raised and covered places you can pitch your tent under in case it rains. Make sure you bring a mattress of some sort as the shelter floor is concrete. Also bring mosquito spray they like this campsite as well.

We met the others camping that night and had great conversation under the shared pavilion. There are also a couple really lovely hiking trails to explore during the day!

Beautiful, but oh so noisy...

Amazing section of the island. You need a permit to camp, but you'll find yourself immersed in a tropical lush wonderland. Bring ear plugs unless you sleep like a log… The crogui frogs will wake the dead.