Yurts
Equestrian
About Cloudland Canyon State Park - East Rim

Resting on the western edge of northwest Georgia’s Lookout Mountain, Cloudland Canyon State Park is more than 3,000 acres—one of the state’s largest parks—of rugged geology, and offers visitors hiking, camping, rock climbing and more along the park’s most iconic feature: the deep gorge cut through the mountain (elevation varies from 800 to more than 1,800 feet!) by the Sitton Gulch Creek. Multiple waterfalls and cascades, including the uber-popular Hemlock Falls, can be found throughout the gorge, making this park feel like a hidden gem around Lookout Mountain.

Staring at the geographic anomaly isn’t the only thing to do at this park, however. Beyond the countless miles of hiking, biking and horse riding trails, geology fanatics can find rock climbing, rappelling and spelunking across the park—cave tours are even offered for beginning cave explorers at Sitton’s Cave.

The park holds a massive variety of camping options, including 72 spots suitable for both tent and RV campers, 30 walk-in sites, 13 dispersed sites, 16 cottages and 10 yurts, each in a different area of the park. With this many options, campers can find seclusion all around.

Hike In
Cloudland Canyon State Park - East Rim is located in Georgia
87 Reviews of Cloudland Canyon State Park - East Rim
I can see your house from here

Ranger Review: Mountain House Freeze Dried Meals at Cloudland Canyon East Rim, GA.

Campground Review:East Rim Campground Pro’s: 1-Handicap Accessible, there is a cabin which is also HDA. 2- If your visiting for a get together your right next to the day use area and there is a picnic pavilion within the campground. 3-The Interpretive Center is close by, the Main Overlook is close by and the Main trailhead is close by.

I like the West Rim Campground better. Few reasons: 1-East Rim Campground is adjacent to the day use area so there is A LOT more vehicle and foot traffic. 2-East Rim Campground is very open, not much shade and the sites are one after another, no privacy. Definitely suited for big rigs. 3-The cabins are right next to the campground also, more traffic.

So it really goes to preference and why your visiting.

The sites each have fire ring, grill, electric, water and gravel drives. Most are on wood patios, no stakes are going in this ground. There is a showerhouse with laundry facilities centrally located and a picnic pavilion and playground within the campground.

We enjoyed the Overlook Trail , easy walk and excellent views! The main trailhead gives you access to the falls below and the other nearby trails. It’s a LONG (down and up), somewhat strenuous hike so take water and snacks ;)

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get to review products while I review campgrounds.

My absolute favorite thing about Mountain House Meals https://www.mountainhouse.com/, aside from the taste is the convenience! Back in the day when my kids were young I would drag out all the fixings and flat wear and pots and etc. then make whatever meal it was. Then we would eat, then we would clean up. Half the morning /afternoon/evening was gone. (Which at times had its perks) But now that my kids are grown I like to be up and on the trail as soon as possible. Mountain House is a key ingredient in that life style. Start a fire, throw on water to boil, pour in pouch, eat…DONE! Breakfast meals are my favorite. The only issue I have ever had with any meal was the rice being crunchy, but that was my fault. Even then it still tasted crunchy good :)

I had the Oatmeal with milk and blueberries this time. LOTS of blueberries!

So needless to say I had a supply of Mountain House before this opportunity to review the product; in my vehicle, in the camper and in the house for emergency situations.

Absolutely beautiful park

I camped in the Backcountry loop. Very quiet spot. Very friendly staff. Lucas (my GSD) Andy I had a great stay. Beautiful waterfalls.

Awesome primitive camping experience!

My boyfriend and I stayed at one of the Primitive camping spots. We hiked about a mile into the woods and got to pick which site we wanted. It had an outhouse and a fire pit but everything else was on your own. Great first time experience and lots of pretty falls and trails to check out during the day. I was so sad to leave.

Yurts

This is one of the few state parks in Georgia that offers yurts and the price is reasonable, making this a neat cool weather camping destination if glamping is more your style. Breath taking views that sort of make you wonder if you are still in Georgia.

Gorgeous

One of my favorite campgrounds in Georgia! Absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful in the fall

We hiked here! Although the waterfall was not as big as expected due to a low rainy season the hike was beautiful! And the oversight views incredible! Perfect place for fall in North Georgia! There are a ton of steps to and from the bottom of the canyon where we hiked, and there are several trails to take! Was a busy trail during the fall.

Amazing waterfalls & views

This campground offers hiking trails to gorgeous waterfalls and views. There is a nice camp store and the staff is friendly and helpful. The campsites are first come first serve, but we happened upon a private site. The bathrooms were clean and the park is well-maintained. We look forward to going back again and swimming near the waterfalls when it is hot enough.

Very open campsite with views

This is one park where the campsites are spaced out perfectly. Most of the time you will not see another person unless you walk to them. I’ve gone with and without a dog and always had a great time. The canyon isn’t too bad either.

Perfect for our first family camping trip.

We LOVE this park and wanted to spend more time to camp there as a family. It was a wonderful experience! We camped the weekend before July 4 so it was pretty full, but from our walk-in campsite #20 we felt like we had our own little corner of the woods. There are no site specific reservations. It is first come first served. At site #20 we had the sand pit for our large tent, a fire ring with grill, picnic table, and pitched our small tent in another clear area on the site. We found 2 perfect spots to hang our hammocks as well. It was hot, but a dip in the falls cools you right off. Technically there is no swimming at the falls. Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone.

There is a little bit everything at Cloudland: backcountry, walk-in, yurts, cabins, and a large group site on the east side. Our west-rim campsite had clean, well stocked facilities. The comfort stations increase in quality as you increase in site fees. The yurt c.s. was nicer than our walk-in station, but I loved our walk-in camping experience. I wouldn’t change a thing. All of our kids had a blast and the fur babies too! The walking trails and waterfalls are gorgeous! They have places for ultimate frisbee, biking trails, and fishing as well as a stocked visitors center in case you forget something. I am sure we will be back again his fall.

Great views, activities, and campsites

Cloudland Canyon is one of the most popular state parks in Georgia and for good reason. The breath taking views from the rim are gorgeous at anytime of year The waterfalls a great to cool off in during the summer and are a spectacle to behold during the cooler months. There are also plenty of trails to explore, some tracing the perimeter of the canyon, and others diving deep into its depths. This Park makes a great place for a picnic, a family fun day, or even some Disc Golf with some friends. After a long day of fun, visitors can camp out over night. They have yurts, pioneer camping, RV camping, and back country camping. The back country campsites are located on a easy 2 mike loop, long enough to feel secluded and embrace nature, but close enough to have access to whatever you need. the sites themselves are fairly spread out with plenty of space cleared for tents, hammocks, or whatever else visitors might set up. They each have a wooden picnic table and a couple fire pits with logs to sit on when enjoy the fire. All in all, this place has it all and I would highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a quick getaway.