About Castle Mountain Recreation Area at Wellington Lake

We provide year-round access for camping and day use. Whether you’re interested in an overnight stay or just plan to visit during the day, we offer a wide variety of activities: from camping to fishing, swimming and canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, and more. In winter, activities also include ice fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing.

Wellington Lake, one of our greatest attractions, is a privately-owned natural wilderness area. The 167-acre lake is managed as a trophy fishery with an emphasis on conservation.

Just a short drive’s distance from Denver and Colorado Springs, we welcome all visitors looking for a relaxing mountain getaway in the great outdoors.

Price
No WiFi
Castle Mountain Recreation Area at Wellington Lake is located in Colorado
16 Reviews of Castle Mountain Recreation Area at Wellington Lake
Love this place

This is one of our all time favorite places to stay. The key is to book way in advance as it is super popular with its close location to Denver, as well as get a spot on the water. There is no cell service, which is nice to just disconnect. Bring your SUP or kayak to enjoy the water more.

Amazing, Beauitful, Worth the price!

I camped here with my mom this year, it was my second time to this campground. I love it! The lack of cell phone service and wifi (I love being without my phone) and the water right by you, it’s heaven. All that exists amid your little campground and you are free! It’s worth it!

Good Campground for Social Distancing

Currently they don't have day-use open, so there's plenty of space at the lake to set-up and spend the day playing with the kids. We stayed in a mountain site (not lake-front) and the kids loved climbing the rocks and exploring the mountain. Really friendly staff. Quiet hours are not well kept and that would be my only complaint. No motors allowed on lake. Great for paddleboarding (rentals available), kayaking, canoeing & kid's floats.

Expensive but beautiful Lake front camping

This is such a beautiful site and with covid rampant, it was basically empty. You could only use the lake if you had existing reservations so it was pretty open and empty.

The sites were well spaced out and there was plenty of space for tents and vehicles. The staff were friendly and accommodating and gave plenty of space while checking in. You check in at the front office before you head to your site. You can't get into the campground without a reservation so it felt really safe and secure.

This is a privately owned campground and there is maintenance staff on site 24-7. There is also a general store and clean bathrooms.

We only spent one night here but I wish we could have stayed longer.

Love this spot too much!

This campground books up fast and there’s no question why. Water allows for paddling, kayaking, etc. and the water is calm and beautiful. Campgrounds are pretty spacious and well kept, nice and shady areas to set up as well. Midday storms are pretty common but the mornings and evenings are oh so beautiful.

Campers paradise

Wellington lake is a perfect family camping spot for anyone who likes to fish, kayak or otherwise play in the water. The sites book quickly but are worth it. We had 2 sites, one on the water and one off and that was a great balance. The sites don't have hookups and the campground doesn't have drinking water so bring all you need. The flies were miserable when we were there and didn't seem to respond to any sort of bug spray but citronella oil seems to help a little. Make sure everything in your rig is screwed down tightly as the 10 mile road to the campground is washboard bumpy beyond belief.

Loud and crowded

My boyfriend and I went to this campground last weekend for the first time. Here are the Pros& Cons:

Pros:

Beautiful lake& surrounding area Water is crystal clear and wonderful to swim in, not too cold

Great lake to swim, paddle board, kayak, fish

Dog friendly- well behaved dogs are allowed off leash

Area is clean

Campsites are large and close to the water

Great hiking

Cons:

THE PEOPLE. Yeah, people ruin everything. The campground was full so of course you are surrounded by people which means lots of noise. Kids screaming, all day and into the evening. The campsite next to us played their horrible rap music loud up until 10pm, It really ruined our night star gazing by the fire, especially since I HATE rap music. There is no way to just relax and enjoy nature and solitude, this place is SO NOISY. And of course there were some irresponsible dog owners with aggressive dogs that they let off leash that attacked other dogs. So bottom line: I will never go back even though its a beautiful place, its just not worth being surrounded by idiots.

Beautiful Area

The campground and lake are very nice. There are several campsites that sit right on the water. There are also campsites that sit further up on the mountain. You get lake views from almost everywhere. The campsites right on the lake are kind of close but the lake access can’t be beat. If you’re looking for more privacy I would get a site up on the mountain. There are also several group sites. There are no motorized boats allowed on the lake. There were a lot of people with paddle boards, kayaks and canoes. The only downside was the road to get there. It wasn’t maintained very well and there was only room for one vehicle at some points. I would highly recommend this campground if you want to get away from it all. There is very little if any cell access.

Wellington Lake

Awesome spot

Kids, kids & more loud kids!!!

Tried it, but won’t be back. Beautiful setting, but way too noisy and populated. If you were going with a group to enjoy the water, then maybe. Or if you have a truckload of kids that you just want to let run wild and not worry about how much noise they make, then this is a great location.