About Camp 4

Camp 4 Yosemite features 36 shared walk-in sites for tents only (sleeping in vehicles is not allowed)

Parking is available adjacent to the campground (it's a very short walk to the campsites). A parking permit is required from spring through fall. You will receive a free parking permit upon registering.

Each campsite contains a fire pit (no grill), picnic table, and four shared food lockers [35"(D)x43"(W)x28"(H)], and is near a bathroom with drinking water and flushing toilets., and is near a bathroom with drinking water and flushing toilets.

Reservation Info
There is a 30-night camping limit within Yosemite National Park in a calendar year; however, May 1 - September 15, the camping limit in Yosemite is 14 nights, and only seven of those nights can be in Yosemite Valley or Wawona.
National Park Service
No Electric Hookups
Camp 4 is located in California
27 Reviews of Camp 4
Great, but crowded, campsite!

Camp 4 is legendary. Since it's a no reservation spot, it's a bit of a struggle to actually get a site (early wake up and wait in line situation), but it's definitely worth it. Once assigned to a campsite, there are plenty of trees and flat ground to set up your area. There are bathrooms, fire pits, a big boulder, and views for days! Would definitely recommend. Protip: get there on a weekday to avoid the weekend crowds trying to get a spot!

Amazing

this was the last stop on my cross country road trip from boston to san fran. This place was amazing and had to be the best place ive ever camped! love the vibes and great people I met

awesome

hard to get; crowded

Beautiful!

This is just lovely and close to everything you might want to see!

A Crowded and Over Used Campground in a Perfect Location

Camp 4 is Yosemite's only walk-in campground, which means you don't need reservation to stay. Of course, with such a popular destination, perfect location and lack of other options in the area, you'll need to get up early to find a spot.

This site sees a lot of traffic. While the location is great, the actual site resemble a large patch of well used dirt. During busy season, plan on other campers taking a festive approach to dinner and campfire life.

A crowded and over used campground in a perfect location

Camping at the Center of the Climbers' Universe

No reservation first serve

Was on a ten day trip in Big Sur decided to take a break and spend a few days in Yosemite. Drove through the night and showed up at Camp 4 at 2am. We were the 20th person in line Waiting for a site to open the next day. Luckily we ended up with a site in the shared space pretty much have to hope there are enough people leaving or you’re out of luck. Ranger comes down in the morning and will let people in based on availability.

Unplanned Stay at Camp 4

So I want on a week long backpacking trip in June of 2017, right in the height of the heat wave in California. I spent a couple days in San Francisco before my trip, and unfortunately was naive in thinking my naturally tan self did not need sunscreen (I am from Indiana, and the sun is not nearly as close.) Anyways, I ended up with a second degree sunburn and severe heat exhaustion/stoke/whatever. I was so nauseous I was struggling to eat enough to sustain myself. After two nights in the backcountry and one night in the backpackers' camp, I had to accept I could not continue to solo backpack in my condition.

Camp 4 is first come, first serve. And I did not wake up early to get a campsite, completely unaware that the line gets incredibly long in the middle of the night. I was so very fortunate that I was the only solo camper, and received literally the last spot in the campground. So although I had no troubles getting a spot, I surpassed over 20+ people that morning who had been in line all night. My recommendations would be to get there very very early and plan to camp out in the line, especially if you have a larger group. Also, I would recommend going in the middle of the week, since more people are apt to be there on the weekends.

The campground itself was basic and sufficient. Each site holds 6 (or maybe it's 8 people, I forget) regardless of whether you know them or not. This was actually a benefit to my solo self, because I had people to talk to and I made some cool friendships. I had absolutely no issues with people messing with my stuff, even when I would leave it as I went on day hikes, of course never leave your valuables unattended just as a rule of thumb. The bathrooms were as you would suspect in a campground, not always the cleanest but definitely better than an outhouse! I did see housekeeping every day too. The water available was cold and refreshing and the shuttle stop was literally right across the street. The showers were a decent drive across the park, but again even without a car, the shuttle system is so easy to get everywhere and anywhere around the Valley.

This campground was definitely more than sufficient than my unexpected need. Although I would recommend trying to get a reservation at another campground if you are planning far enough ahead of time, that is purely because of the difficulty to get a site. It was a pleasant experience, and helped me recover and relax from my illness. The only thing I wish is that I had felt good enough to try bouldering on the boulders literally right beside the bathrooms, like much of the other climbers staying within the campground.

Camp 4

My boyfriend and I stayed at Camp 4 last June (2016) and it was worth it. We arrived at the campsite at 3:30AM and there was already 23 people sleeping in line. The ranger arrived at the kiosk at 8:30AM and we were lucky enough to get a campsite. We were able to start setting up camp at noon. Camp 4 is an awesome campsite because it's at the center of everything in the valley. There are restrooms, but no showers. I recommend this campsite!