About Dismals Canyon Cabins and Primitive Campsites

Dismals Canyon offers two romantic cabins; "Bringing Up The Moon" and "Bringing Down The Sun" located at the north end of the conservatory. This location ensures maximum privacy.

Constructed inside and out of Western Red Cedar, with vaulted ceilings, stone fireplaces and hardwood floors. wine basket

The details of hospitality are unsurpassed - comfy throws, Tiffany lamps, books, and magazines, and welcoming refreshments. Everything is furnished from rocking chairs to freshly ironed sheets. A complimentary wine basket (wine, cheese, & grapes) awaits your arrival (for guests that stay 2 or more nights).

Primitive Campsites

Scattered off the main path and given a wide berth from one another, Dismals Canyon primitive campsites offer the ultimate outdoor experience.

The number of campsites is limited by design in order to maintain the splendor of the pristine wilderness. They offer privacy and convenience to the canyon.

Private
Hike In
Dismals Canyon Cabins and Primitive Campsites is located in Alabama
3 Reviews of Dismals Canyon Cabins and Primitive Campsites
Beautiful, One of a Kind Place

My family has been going to Dismals Canyon since I was a child, and my mother's parents took her when she was a child. Now I take my children. The reason we return year after year is that it is absolutely gorgeous, and is one of the few places in the world where you can see the tiny glow worms called Dismalites. When you first arrive, you go down to the little general store that now has a cafe. I have not eaten at the cafe, so I can't attest to the quality of the food, but I can say everyone who has worked there has always been very friendly and knowledgeable about the canyon. Here you will pay for your campsite and/or your canyon access. Day tours are self guided, but the night tours to see the dismalites are guided. The campground is relatively expensive, for our area anyway, but it is very clean and beautiful, and each campsite we have visited has been very private. There is a nice bathhouse for campers. Each campsite also provides garbage cans and a fire pit. They DO NOT let you bring in firewood, but you can get firewood there. Also you cannot park right next to your site, you will have to park in the parking area and walk to your site. All of their rules are very strict, but they do so to preserve the park in a clean, natural state. There is a nice fairly deep reservoir to swim in, as well as creeks and streams throughout. Also waterfalls, giant trees, and many neat rock structures. The trail through the canyon is not terribly difficult. I hiked it with my 2 year old strapped to my back the last time we went, and my 62 year old mother and 5 year old in tow. The hardest part is really the long stairs going into and out of the canyon. The cost is really the only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5. Bring bug spray.

unique spot

Expensive fees, but worth a visit. They protect the canyon habitat. Primitive sites, but bathroom access near the canyon entrance. Beautiful campsite at sleeping water. Great for a larger group.

Pricey

This is a nice little spot but they nickel and dime you to death. Sites are anywhere from $27/night to $48/night. But then they also charge you a $5 cleaning fee (for a campsite????) and a "one time admission fee" of $30 (good for up to 4 people, additional people = additional money). Oh, they also charge a $50 refundable damage deposit due to excessive issues with campfire damage. Feels more like renting an apartment, not a campsite.

There's no denying that the scenery is beautiful, but I don't know that I would stay here again as amenities are minimal and fees are excessive.