Favorite things to make for dinner while camping

I feel like I make the same things over and over again (probably because I know it ‘works’ on the road, easy to pack/shop, etc) so share away! Looking for inspiration to change it up!!!

1 Like

@Kathleen_C I am new to camping so if you want to share your favorite things I am open to ideas! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! well, I mostly make food that I can prep before I hit the road. Breakfasts I usually make the filling for breakfast burritos (eggs, soy chorizo [I’m not vegan or vegetarian, just trader joes makes an excellent soy chorizo] but any breakfast meat will do, potatoes, peppers and onions) and freeze it so it helps keep all the other food cold, and by morning, it’s easy to heat and serve. I also make a decent chili and side of mac and cheese (also freezes and reheats well). I also do foil packets of bbq chicken and potatoes and freeze that… are you starting to see a pattern here lol. I also make the filling for calzones (you guessed it, I freeze that too!) and make calzones with my pie irons using store bought pizza dough. I also like to make or buy ‘cowboy burgers’ (whole foods and spouts have them in their meat counter) and basically all the major add ons are in the burger already (onions, cheese, etc) so you just bring buns and condiments (lettuce doesn’t travel that well, so if I want it, I make this on my first night). Early in my reuniting with camping, I did pancakes (poorly at first, they improved with time) I would take a water bottle and make the mixture in that so it was ready to go, I did the same for eggs so they were ‘pre-scrambled’. Trader Joe’s sells these little cartons of egg whites which are perfect if you’re looking to transport eggs easily. I actually prefer egg whites, just have never loved the yolk. Lunches are usually caprese or ham, brie, fig butter (hot or cold) sandwiches - no freezing required, lol.

Here’s a pix of the pie irons - I think this was at Big Bear…

7 Likes

My go-to:

Breakfast

Lunches:

• sandwiches
  • charcuterie board: Brie, jam (I like fig or apricot) and baguette slices. I normally pair it with almonds and dried fruit

Snacks:

Dinners:

• Walking Tacos I make the taco meat in advance and freeze it in an aluminum foil container. Then I can cook it over a campfire or reheat in a pot on my propane stove. We live ours with cool ranch Doritos
  • Low Country Boil Foil Packets
  • Meatloaf. Made in advance and wrapped in foil. Warmed up over the fire/buried in coals Serve with instant mashed potatoes and baked beans.
  • fish tacos with fresh caught fish
  • Ribeyes. Cooked on my cast iron in olive oil and butter. Seasoned with Uncle Chris’ steak seasoning. Served with corn on the cob (grilled in the husk over the campfire) and either pre-made twice baked potatoes or instant mashed potatoes.
6 Likes

@Beth_G
Omg, queen! I’d like reservations at your restaurant! Loving these and simple to make - thank you!

1 Like

Y’all have given me inspiration. We don’t camp often, so we’re pretty happy with the standard hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill. We usually camp at sites with a grill or we take our Weber Jumbo Joe. I like to marinate chicken and veggies in Kraft Zesty Italian dressing and grill. Marinated flank steak is another camping fave for me. I save my more creative cooking for when I’m home and have access to my garden, spices and oils, etc.

2 Likes

I’m bringing an instapot but haven’t used it camping yet. I’m camping by myself and slowly learning what I like to eat camping. I

3 Likes

We love chicken sausage foil packets. We use all sorts of veggies… potatoes, zucchini, squash, green beans, cherry Tomatoes, onion, peppers…
I love cooking in my Dutch oven. I make pizza, chili, chicken and dumplings, potpies.
My husband loves onion bombs. My girls won’t eat them so I usually do a beef foil packet with potatoes and carrots for them.
Walking Tacos are a favorite also.
On set up night I usually will make fried chicken at home and serve with a pasta salad for easy and quick.

3 Likes

So right now with it being so hot one of the dinners we do is sliced pre-grilled chicken from home with a big ready-made salad kit (your choice, we use a caesar salad). It’s already prepped, you just have to throw everything together. It’s a cold, refreshing, simple and easy dinner on a hot summer night.

1 Like

these are all keepers! I’m working on the breakfast sandwiches now for my trip to big sur this weekend!

1 Like

Don’t forget the White Claw! lol

2 Likes

ya know, I’ve never had one, I hear they’re good. While I enojy a nice spirit, I tend to limit alcohol when camping at higer elevations as I found that dehydration is a problem for me past 5,000 ft. Although nothing pedialyte can’t even out :wink:

One of my go-tos while camping is “Bedouin Pizza”. Its really tasty and so easy. The ingredients are pretty easy to get if you’re on the road already too.

I make the meat mixture at home in bulk and freeze it into individual containers and grab one or two whenever I head out. When I get to camp, I stuff the pitas and instead of baking I place it on a pan on a camp stove to cook on each side for about 10 minutes. I’ve also grilled it in a similar fashion, which might be the optimal way as it does generate a little bit of grease that I would otherwise clean up with a paper towel and pack out. DO NOT put in foil, I tried that and it makes a mess! Still edible, but not with hands :joy:

Here’s the original recipe:

2 Likes

I love this and the options are endless!

1 Like

After a while, we got tired of the usual camping fare so I always challenge myself to cook something different BUT easy while camping.

One of our favorites is shaksouka, ground beef simmered in spiced stewed tomatoes with eggs poached into the midst. It goes nicely with a crusty French loaf. Very hearty, very simple. :blush:

4 Likes

We lugged ours too!! We’ve made a faux-tisserie (roast) chicken once at camp! So easy, so delish!! Then we realised our 2 young boys can devour that small chicken all by themselves! :joy:

1 Like

@Kathleen_C How did they turn out???

1 Like

More than excellent, rave reviews from my friends - so easy to make, heat, pack etc. And I love that you can put so many different variations together. I’m going to make them again for my upcoming trip to Ben Reis Campground in butano State Park. Thank you! I’m going to try something different each trip!

1 Like

We have a Blackstone Grill. Makes all meals a breeze. We love taco chicken and green pepper

2 Likes

these are some great ideas! Definitely gonna try the calzones!

1 Like