Do You Carry A Camping Toilet?

Curious if anyone has a camping toilet??

I am interested in adding one to my gear with all the limited facilities and requirements for campers to have this available in some regions. Usually this wouldn’t be something which I would say is a must but in order to camp this season I think I would rather be safe rather than sorry to meet restrictions.

If you do, what kind do you have and what were the factors that convinced you to use the one you do. Also have you noticed any cons specific to using a travel toilet or yours in particular that would make you get something different?

Can’t help you it with a product, but I’ve been wondering the same thing, about getting one to allow me to camp this summer in campgrounds that are requiring self contained rigs. Another group I’m in said that portable toilets aren’t always sufficient, that they look for a fixed black tank. I hope that’s not the case! I suspect different states will have different guidelines.

Have you seen the Biffy Bag? I met the founder years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCXxQKE2gt0

2 Likes

interesting concept… has a lot of pros but also a bit strange…lol… I will be looking into this though and LOVE the video!! thanks for sharing this one… definitely on the short list since it is completely contained!! I do wonder how this will factor in like @jean_c has mentioned with the overall big picture of some places wanting a fixed tank…

1 Like

While not exactly a camping toilet, I did pick up a SheWee/GoGirl that definitely helped while motorcycle camping with a bunch of guys who were able to just stop and go pee anywhere. We were always on the move so finding a place with a toilet so you could go no. 2 was usually not a problem. I carried biodegradable doggy poop bags with me just in case I needed to pop a squat in the back woods somewhere, but never had to.

1 Like

A former roommate of mine had picked one of these up just out of curiosity but hers never worked right so I was wondering if it was just the brand itself or operator error…lol… such a weird thing to talk about I know but I am glad to see this is something beneficial to someone and worth an actual consideration!!

I researched a bunch before buying one and read somewhere that you had to practice in the shower to get the hang of it so I made sure to do so and figured out my lean, etc. It isn’t a complete solution. I still carried a tiny bit of toilet paper with me, but it def beat the hell out of popping a squat along the side of the forest road in rattlesnake country! Heh!

1 Like

If we are camping in our RTT, I set up a pop up changing tent and I have a Small folding Stool that I’ve modified to be a toilet. If we are backpacking I just use nature. Lol.

1 Like

I have a Pstyle and it is the bomb. Stand up pee device. Now if your have to do #2… It won’t help at all.

There are some self contained mini toilets with a small water reservoir so you can actually do a little flush. And then everything’s contained in a separate tank that you can empty out. They’re not very big, and easy to pack with camping gear if you absolutely needed something like that. I mean, it’s not small, but it’s not like hauling around a porta potty.

1 Like

We have a Dometic portable toilet in our van. We have only used it in emergencies and when staying overnight in Harvest Host locations and for #1 ONLY! Honestly, this has been one of the factors keeping us from getting out there again.

1 Like

I have a roof top tent and I went REI and got outside toilet which is a 5gal bucket with a toilet seat attached which I place in a small shower tent. Works great, only draw back is you should empty often but beats camp outhouse. I also buy the disposable liners for it​:us::+1:

1 Like

I have a snap on toilet seat for a 5 gallon bucket…its a home depot bucket that says “let’s do this” on one side…kinda funny to the kids
We use scented kitty litter and triple up on the kitchen bags that fit perfectly
Just need a place to dispose

3 Likes

5 gallon bucket with lid/seat. Use a blue bag for solids, add a touch of cat litter, throw toilet paper in the trash and use a bush for liquids. Many truck stops and trailheads offer blue disposal or empty the blue (hazardous waste) bag into a vault toilet. But not the bag. Some people forego the blue bag and choose to clean the bucket at a waste station. It sounds primitive, but if digging 8 inches and covering is not working for you, a seat/lid combo is around $10 on Amazon. Cat litter really cuts the odor. Happy camping.

1 Like

I have a Camco camping potty. I bought it back in May along with a pop up privacy shelter. I made a 10 hour drive to Florida with two of my kids. I have asthma, so I was wanting to avoid going into a public restroom. The toilet works great. My kids were not thrilled, but they used it. It’s just a basic cassette potty with a manual flush. I took it and the privacy shelter on our last camping trip, and I don’t think I’ll car camp without it. It was really nice to not have to use the bath house every time and minimize exposure to other people. (apparently public toilets are risky because flushing aerosolizes the virus). I’ve heard the Thetford “Curve” Porti Potti is the bees knees. I just didn’t want to spend that much.

On long hikes or backpacking, I just use nature.

1 Like

I understand it does make it a bit weird when you are very remote and still are staying at a place where it makes it impossible to just use nature. I have been finding many people who are full time RVers mentioning this on some of the message boards and in their videos. They have seen places that usually are full which have vault toilets now more sparse because of lack of services. I have also found that many people have mentioned the areas which have had vaults open are overrun with trash and mess because people are abusing them. So Sad…

This is my current option as well. Only negative thus far has been finding a place to dispose which is not an incorrect place. I know a lot of people say anywhere you can toss a diaper you can dispose of your waste… but I don’t feel that is always the way to go in public spaces.

2 Likes

We bought a Dometic but haven’t used it yet. It comes highly recommended, so hoping when we finally get out for a long trip it will give us more flexibility in where we stay.

We have friends that swear by this one when there are no facilities where they are camping. We have also talked about one, but that would mean being able to use our vestibule and that’s difficult when it’s a windy location.
Cleanwaste Portable Toilet (amazon) (upload://bAgmwlrmHuIGDIvbtLmampfW14A.png)

Update from me: I opted for a Thetford Campa Potti that has a small waste tank. I found that it was rated high enough to work for what I needed it for in areas which are restricted to having to have a toilet to stay and also will work well when I build out a van in the very near future for something small and compact.

1 Like

If I am primitive camping, I carry a Reliance 3-legged potty with the silver bags. I don’t always use the bags, however. I sometimes dig a hole and just use the potty seat for balance. For more formal camping without “facilities,” I carry a flushable porta-potti.

1 Like