Surprisingly Quiet & Relaxing Beach Camping with Freeway Access
Growing up in SoCal, I had thought this would be a lousy place to go camping when I would drive by on the 5 Freeway. But after I had gone with a group of friends for a weekend trip, I totally changed my mind. And here are the reasons why:
- You can't hear the freeway traffic
- The beach is uncrowded, plus every camp site has a fire ring and picnic table.
- You can set up your tent or bring your RV (some guys merely set up cots next to their cars on the asphalt and slept under the stars)
- World-renowned surfing just up the beach
- The campground offers cold outdoor showers and chemical toilets. No RV hookups are available, however, there is a RV dump-station.
- Super long paved bike ride with no traffic which is great for the kids.
- Great surf fishing
- Unofficial nude beach is just south of the camp ground near Camp Pendleton.
- The San Onofre Nuclear Plant was closed in 2013 if that is a concern for you.