Wifi/internet connection at campgrounds

What is the best way to go about gaining wifi access in your rv/TT?
What different options have you used to access the internet or wifi from a campground with not so great wifi access?
We are looking to travel and work from campgrounds, specifically in cape Charles VA.
Any tips, tricks, or suggestions to gain enough wifi/internet in order to have video conferences?

Campground wifi is notoriously bad, either because of the service they initially provide or because even decent service can be tapped out quickly with enough people trying to use it. Having said that, there are wifi boosters you can use on your rig to help pull in a signal better and, probably, increase your speed because of that.

We use the CampPro 2. While we haven’t used it a lot – primarily because we don’t often camp at RV parks – when we have used it we have found that it helps us boost and speed up the wifi signal enough that we can use it for work.

If you are interested for wifi or cellular boosters, make sure to check out TechnoRV. They are a great spot for information on products and customer service both before and after the sale.

2 Likes

We use a Verizon smartphone as a hotspot and it work reasonably well. T-Mobile and AT&T are other smartphones that have a hotspot. The number or combination plans and options is bewildering. We use a WeBoost booster when we cannot get a signal from just the smartphone. TechnoRv is a good source of hardware supply but there are many others. Go to https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ and you can learn as much as you would ever want to know about mobile internet or google Mobile Internet Resource Center.

1 Like

I agree with the advice from others here. However, keep in mind that nothing would work if you are in a remote area with little to no cell signal. Hence, check cell service in the area you intend to visit before you head there. There is an app called, Opensignal that is good for that. Good luck!

We’ve used Consumer Cellular hotspot service that worked very well. We used it for five months in Tucson in a campground with sad wifi and internet service options.

I owned the original Bear adapter for PC for several years. It did good at home but in some places, we went to I could not get a good connection to an outside signal. I tried another outdoor wifi extender last year which was from the BearExtender brand. After installing the included cd software on one laptop and using the manufacturer’s website to download the software on another laptop that didn’t have a cd drive, I didn’t have to do anything else but plug in the antenna and log into the available wifi network. Even without putting the antenna outside and higher up, it provided a noticeable increase in signal strength and I haven’t yet even tried using the included USB signal amplifier. Putting the antenna outside and on the RV’s roof made a huge difference.

This outdoor WiFi booter also seems to be well-made. It has a protective coating for its dust- and water-resistance enclosure, for instance, which is also treated with something that makes it resist UV rays and corrosion. With the three mounting choices offered by this antenna, you will also instantly agree about its versatility.