What's your favorite spot in Massachusetts?

This NH native who lives in Boston does most of her camping in New Hampshire and Maine. This year, though, it looks like I’ll be spending more time in Massachusetts. I have very little experience here, so I’m looking for recommendations. I don’t need hookups, though I have a small teardrop camper. I like kayaking, hiking, and biking. Where would you recommend and why?

I am brand new to camping, so I can’t help you, but can you help me? DO you know of any small, spread out campsites in NH we would enjoy? we have a 6 year old. Thank you and I hope someone replies to you!

Hi Allison, welcome! I’m assuming you are a New Hampshire resident. If you don’t need a lot of amenities, the various White Mountain National forest campgrounds along the Kancamagus are generally smaller with large sites. They have water faucets and pit toilets, a few have flush toilets and showers ($). Make reservations online (recreation.gov). Check out the online list of 52-with-a-view for an assortment of hikes, some of which are family friendly. If you can go midweek, you’ll encounter smaller groups. White Lake State Park has a beautiful lake for swimming. Father north, check out Moose Brook, Mollidgewock, Umbagog (first and last of these have showers). If you haven’t yet discovered geocaching, it’s fun with kids and you just need your phone and an account.