Tips for camping with pets?

I haven’t ever camped with a dog, but I know its super popular. What would be your tips for people camping with their pets for the first time?

First thing, please honor rules that require dogs be on leash, or dog restricted areas. There are both safety and environmental reasons areas may have these postings that have nothing to do with “safe” dogs.

E coli, parasites, bacteria are introduced into fragile ecosystems when dogs run free and defecate. Loose dogs chase wildlife, disrupt bird nesting areas, and often do it without the owners being aware. That being said, there are places that dogs can be off leash, but out of consideration for other campers, the campground may not be the place. Because your dog may be friendly doesn’t mean other dogs can handle them. Or people. Some of us have had horrible experiences and the fear is real.

Also, a free dog at night can end up meeting a skunk (believe me, the entire campground will hate you), or worse, a porcupine, feisty raccoon or coyote.

A dog that barks at every passing person, shadow or noise is wearing on the nerves.

So, now that I sound grumpy: I have a dog who is an excellent camper. She is quiet, enjoys exploring, but is a sight hound so letting her run freely is rare…always something to chase in the wild, including skunks and very angry campers.

Enjoy your dog, but PLEASE be considerate of both other people, dogs, and the environment.

2 Likes

We loved having our dogs along camping. In addition to the great info above I’ll add a piece of equipment we used.

A dog run. Super easy to make and allows freedom while still keeping control. A 3’ piece of rope with a spring clip on one one (to clip to the collar or harness) and a ring on the other (to slide along a length of rope). Thread this onto a long piece of rope that is staked down on both ends in your site (you can give them as much or as little room as is appropriate) and your dog has freedom but with limits.

1 Like

Definitely a “shake down” night however you plan to camp; like set up a tent in the yard or somewhere close by to try one night and figure out what makes the dog at ease and comfortable. If backpacking, and the dog is capable, training them to wear their own backpack and carry their own food and treats is also nice.

Training them to not bark at other dogs and people is also really helpful, but that might take a while to counter condition that behavior. I highly recommend it for more than camping though, it certainly makes life with a dog more enjoyable!

I first started camping with my dog when she was a puppy, she absolutely loves it! Although she is sleeping bag stealer :joy:

3 Likes

Make sure you have a supply of poop pick up bags, a headlamp for nighttime trips out and do not leave your dog tied up when you are not on your on site.

2 Likes

Another thought to add, make sure your dog is ok with weather changes. We have gone from 104 to 38 in one day. Our boxer doesn’t regulate well so we keep extra coats on hand and watch her for overheating. Kudos on poop bags! Love the dog run set-up. Also, some quick stops aren’t dog friendly and if its hot… no leaving them in the car for a market dash or lunch. And, even though my Sofi is great camping, sometimes it’s really nice not having to deal with a dog. Def more freedom.

We camp and hike with a dachshund, so other than the already given advice, something that smells familiar to your dog (like bedding) and in the case of a dog small enough to fit on your lap, be prepared to share your chairs, or get them something to sit on.

Also, make sure you have plenty of food that they love!

2 Likes

Be patient and let your dog adjust to the idea. The first night we eve camped with ours, she kept us up nervously pacing back and forth across the tent because she heard the frogs in the lake then mysteriously started whining at what turned out to be a raccoon exploring our campsite.

Fast forward a few years, and she is super chill and excited to be a part of the crew.

It does take some more planning if you are in hot weather or visiting parks that don’t allow dogs on the trails. We will look for kennels in town if we really want to do hikes there, or else stick to State Parks and National Forests where she can hike with us.

3 Likes

We have taken our dogs with us camping for 40 years, first in a tent, then pop up and now a hybrid travel trailer. We have had up to 3 dogs with us at times.
Most of the basics are already covered here in other comments.
(Leash, clean up after them, control the barking, etc.)
I would add to be sure your dogs get plenty of exercise. They will sleep better - which is good for everyone.
Able, be careful when approaching other dogs camping. Some may not play well With others in new surroundings.
As a side note, the National Park Service recently started a Bark Ranger program for canine visitors.
It is not Yet at all of the NPS units.

2 Likes

This is great advice. We always have our on their leashes. Ours are old lady veteran campers so are mellow and well behaved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All this advice is great. I would also add that stay super alert to fellow campers as many do not put their dogs on leashes and allow their pets to run up to your own. There are also places like some beaches and parks that do not allow animals at all. We travel full time with 3 dogs and a bunny and the number one worry is loose dogs because our old lady Hazel does not like other dogs at all. We boondock mostly and you’d be surprised how in the middle of nowhere a loose dog will come bounding into your campsite, usually met by the owner saying “its ok he’s friendly”…but one of mine is not. If you have a little dog which one of ours is a handy thing to get is a coyote vest. It looks ridiculous but give peace of mind. Coyotes will lure dogs away by playing and lead them to the pack. I guy we met had to run after his dog that was being lured away by a coyote that came right up behind his RV out of nowhere. And then there are chollas, ticks and all things poop that dogs love.

2 Likes

Late post, but we camp with 2 small dogs and have learned a few tricks.

They are super-used to the comforts of home; they mostly spend their days laying in the sun and on the couch.

1. Bringing a cheap moving blanket that can be thrown on the the ground in the community space has really eased their anxiety. For some reason, being able to lay on the cloth makes a difference than the dirt. Helps with keeping the tent, food bowls and water dish clean, too. It also makes a great clean, landing pad if you brought their beds from home.

2. Ditto on the dog run- just make sure to string it out of the general footpath. I like to tether ours somewhere high far out, but low near the opening of the tent so I can let them out easy for night time potty breaks (make sure you have a block spot so they can wander too far out in the night- a second loop and string for this specific task can do wonders. You can use carabiners and paracord to set this up easy. I use carabiners to clip to their harnesses. If you have multiple pets, a swivel system can work wonders to keep from dog-wander tangle.

Practice with your dog ahead of time

You will also need to do some practice before you head out to camp. Because, if you head directly to the campground with your dog, you may have difficulty anticipating their reaction. So you can take your dog to a crowded park once and see how your dog reacts to the new environment. Take as much time as you can with your dog outdoors, or try a backyard camping trip in your backyard first. It’s best to make sure your dog understands retrieve and refuse unknown food commands. This way if your dog accidentally runs away, you will be able to call your dog back immediately. And campgrounds can be filled with many plants, and you don’t know which one might be toxic to your dog. So you need to teach them these commands to ensure a safer camping trip.

When going to other new environments you need to observe if your dog gets along well with other dogs and is friendly enough with other strangers. If your dog is more aggressive and not very stable. Or if they prefer to stay indoors than outdoors, then camping is not a good option for you. And of course, one more thing, deworm your dog before you go camping. To avoid tick bites in the outdoors.

Oh, let me start by saying that not all dogs are ready for camping away from the house. In order to understand if my Pug was ready for camping I was walking him daily on different routes. I’ve noticed he becomes really scared in the unknown for him places. In addition, you should invest in the right gear. Most avid campers will tell you that the right gear can make all the difference, and the same rule applies to your canine companion. If you haven’t already, you may want to invest in high-quality gear for your dog that can help ensure a successful camping trip, whether it’s a sturdy and properly-fitted harness or a set of durable food and water bowls. Also, pay a visit to the VET a few days before going camping.

I always take my two dogs camping. They are poodles, I usually work with them and have no issues at all, they are quite simple to transport wherever.

If your dog is prepared for something like this, it’s okay to camp with it.
If you plan to bring your dog along, you should prepare an emergency first aid kit.

Exploring the beauty of nature with dogs is one of the most adventurous feelings, especially when it is about camping with dogs. But first of all, you have to select the best tent for camping with dogs. As it is important to take special care of our dogs. Moreover, there are numerous positive sides to camping with your dog. For instance, you may get saved from having unwanted issues because dogs are the most faithful friend that can save you from any danger. So, taking your all-time buddy will add different advantages.

1 Like

Take your dogs everywhere. Show them new situations. Get them socialized when they are young. We travel with three. I took my Border Collie on her first week long canoe trip at the age of six months.

I haven’t ever camped with a dog, but I know its super popular. What would be your tips for people camping with their pets for the first time?

This may help. 6 Tips For The First Camping Trip With Your Dog

We just got a new Boxer puppy which will bring our camping dog total to 3. He is the largest we have. We typically have our dogs on a cable but they get tangled around the table and chairs.

I’ve seen portable fence panels but I am concerned that my boxer with jump over a 4’ portable fence which is the tallest I have found so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have experience with tall portable fence panels?