Mammoth cave national park question

been researching mammoth cave national park. It seems like the main attraction is the cave, and there’s a few small trails beyond that. Am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. We did the Historic Tour at Mammouth Caves NP a few years back. If I recall, a guided ranger-led tour is required. It was an easy, two mile, well-lit walk through large cave formations. No scrambling over rocks or headlamps required but tons of history was shared by our tour guide. Not our favorite park but if you are in the area it’s worth a stop. If you’re into cars, the National Corvette Museum is about 1/2 hr away in Bowling Green. The most interesting bit is the sinkhole that swallowed a number of precious cars a few years back.

The main attraction is the cave and the numerous tours. 10-15 of various length and difficulties. I mean its a cave but seriously they haven’t found the end of it… its hundreds of miles long… with a ton to see… when they open back up get online and buy your tour tickets well in advance as they usually sell out. But other than that the surface of the park has a ton of trails and there are a lot of attractions close to the park. Like zip lines, golf, mini golf, go karts, dinoworld, etc. There are several surface trails that have nice overlooks, and old cemeteries and giant sink holes. The park extend across the river and that section is only accessible by ferry.
If your looking for off park camping and have kids. I recommend jellystone in the summer. Its minutes from the park. And there are a ton of mom n pop rock trading places all around. Hope this help. Of you want ill dig up some trail maps. There are a ton on Gaia if you use that.

1 Like