Looking for some "Best Of" for Great Basin NP

Curious as to “Best Of” areas of Great Basin NP. Would you recommend flying to Vegas and renting a car? Minimal gear? How about some those big hikes - any recommendations?

1 Like

We were there a couple years ago. It appears that Wheeler peak CG is closed until summer 2020. ID wait until that opens. It is a cool CG and a good launching spot for hikes like Wheeler peak, (must do) and the bristle cone pines. We want to go back to hit the caves and the southern part of the park.

Pat

Hike the loop that take you to 3 alpine lakes and make sure to check out the Bristlecone pines. I would have hiked the peak, but I had little kids with me. They made it to the Bristlecones fine.

1 Like

We were just there. I highly recommend the Baker Creek campground. We arrived without a reservation and were able to get one of the best sites I’ve ever had - #2. It was big, with room for three tents, it was separated from other sites by trees and foliage, and best of all, the creek ran right past and you could dip your feet and cool your beverages. Wheeler Peak trails are open - two alpine lakes and the Bristlecone Pine are beautiful and fairly easy hiking. The caves are currently closed, along with most ranger-led activities, due to COVID.