Informal poll: do you bring your phone backpacking

I alwaaays bring it. Curious if other always bring it, only some of the time, or never. Discuss!

1 Like

I always bring it too! Even if i’m not using it for navigation, I gotta take pictures and occasionally like to listen to music while I’m hiking

1 Like

Yep. I always have mine——it’s my main camera now, along with just a measure of safety.

1 Like

It comes with us all the time. May not be used, but in case we need it we have it.

I bring mine for photos or for taking notes for medical services when guiding. I have a SOAP notes app where I can create and send out notes about any medical issues that arise on trail.

1 Like

Always have carried it, now that I have a satellite messenger that pairs with my phone it’s become my phone, camera, GPS, trail guide, mirror, e-reader and SoS messanger all in one. Just make sure to bring an extra battery.

I always have it. Mostly because it’s my camera, but usually in airplane mode. As a woman, there is a sense of security in having it, especially if now and then I can link into the digital world and let loved ones know I’m okay.

2 Likes

Always bring it for photos. Make sure to put it in airplane mode and the battery will last for days!

1 Like

Always. But I do enjoy when I’m in spots with no coverage!

Yep, gotta have it for photos/videos, flashlight, Sky Guide, trail maps, GPS, etc.

I always have mine as well. Science I do videos of many of my adventures I use it as a secondary camera. Additionally I use it as a solo traveler for a GPS marker using it alongside an app to make sure those who worry about me know where I am in real time. This has been pretty helpful for family members to feel a bit more at peace when I am really remote.

i always bring my phone with me. i use it to play music if i feel like it, take quick photos, and also keep track of my location (if service is available).

1 Like

:100: YES!!! Rarely have service, but that’s my camera!

Always - most of the time I leave in airplane mode - but it is a must have in case of an emergency.

I always bring it. I use it for photos and for music. Sometimes for the occasional game of sudoku. I rarely have service so it doesn’t do much as an emergency device.

1 Like

I usually bring it, but many places have no reception. As a photographer, I carry a dedicated camera; navigation is Garmin, compass & map. Sometimes the pack is heavy :wink:

1 Like

Always, its my camera, music and if needed emergency call (if reception) and maps. I always have a hard copy and downloadable map, but the active with GPS comes in handy when there is enough signal.

1 Like

Agree completely about the sense of security! Also for pictures, and lighter than bringing trail map books :slight_smile:

Guilty! Mainly for pictures and video as I’m a photographer, but we also use it for trail navigation, nature nerd apps (birds, plants, night sky), and checking the weather if we have service. We have a Renogy 30W portable solar panel and 24K powerbank to recharge it when we go on longer trips and have killed the battery by taking a ton of photos and video. Totally worth the extra couple of pounds between the two of us.

1 Like

I use mine as a camera. It weights lighter than my camera. I have been know to leave it if I really needed to disconnect.