Hammock Sleeping Tips

What’s the best way to sleep comfortably and stay warm in a hammock?

1 Like

Not an expert, but I know Hennessy Hammock is pretty well-revered in the hammock camping world. It comes with a bug net on top, tends to be longer so you can sleep more comfortably, and they have “underquilts” so you can wrap the hammock up and stay warm

1 Like

Bring an inflatable sleeping pad to put in your hammock, it will keep you extra warm. I also purchased a rain fly for mine from Bearbutt.

That reminds me – Klymit makes a sleeping pad designed to fit well inside a hammock: https://klymit.com/products/hammock-v-sleeping-pad

I use the Klymit pad in my hammock! It doesn’t slide out in the middle of the night as I toss and turn.

Definitely an extra layer between you and the ground keeps you warmer. I also have a “double-wide” hammock that gives me a bit more room to maneuver for turning in the middle of the night. A neck pillow has also made sleeping in a hammock a bit more comfy as well.

I also recommend that if you can, get a double or two man hammock, the extra room is such a plus. If you do not have an “underquilt” or netting, I definitely suggest a blanket or pad between your sleeping bag and the hammock to keep the cold from creeping “up”. Another helpful hint is to run a line over top of your hammock. This will help if a unexpected storm hits by allowing you to just place the tarp over top of you and securing ground points. This also is a good way to help stay warm, the closer the tarp is to top of your hammock, the more body heat that you can “recycle”.

1 Like

I am not a hammock camper, but I do occasionally set up my hammock stand in my living room to sleep in it. I prefer to use a small floofy blanket instead of a pillow since I can fold and wrap it whatever way feels right to support my head.

Yess! I’m always surprised how chilly I get hammock camping. Luckily someone told me beforehand to bring a backpacking air mattress to insulate the bottom of the hammock as well as straighten it out so your back isn’t at a constant curve. I also tighten my hammock into a straight line as much as possible to also support my back. I sleep great! I’ve always used a Grand Trunk backpacking one with mosquito net built in but I’ve also heard the Hennessy ones are the best.

You definitely need a pad or a quilt to keep your backside warm, even when it’s warm out you’ll need something until it gets into the 70’s.
It’s also easier to use a top quilt than a sleeping bag.
I’ve been down to 8deg and been plenty warm, it’s easy with the right gear!

Sierra Madre is the top of the line right now (this changes on occasion, there are a TON of hammock manufacturers cropping up), but they are also the most expensive.

Several of the leaders in my Boy Scout Troop use their gear, but I don’t have $500 for a hammock setup.

I personally have both a Fox Outfitters double for front country camping and a Wise Owl single which I really like for backpacking.

I use a self inflating pad for mildly cold weather or my 0 degree hammock bag (alternative to an underquilt) when it’s colder:

Thanks,
Richard

It all depends on your budget. If you have a sleeping pad already throw that in the bottom of your hammock. As an added bonus it can help “spread” the hammock around you if you aren’t use to the cocoon feeling in a hammock. If you are looking to buy new gear then go for an underquilt. Because it’s outside the hammock you won’t have to worry about it moving out from under you or getting in the way of your in hammock movements. If it is super cold, add in an overquilt for an extra layer of warmth.

As others mentioned, a tarp or the DIY tyvek alternative can keep some of a breeze off you. The key with this is to make sure you set up the tarp in the direction the wind is blowing so you dont accidentally make yourself a wind tunnel!

Pine Creek Adventures
Instagram