Fort Wilkins SP, UP Michigan

Any words of wisdom about this park? Would you say it’s worth the travel from St. Louis, MO to spend a couple of days there. Is there much else to do/see in the area?

thanks

Absolutely, we stayed there and it was heavenly. Try and get one of the sites closest to the boat ramp on the lake, they are surrounded by trees so it feels more private!

The UP has a ton to do in general, when we went we only stayed 2 days in Copper Harbor though. If you drive past the Porkies to get there, I highly recommend staying a night or two there as well! They are awesome. As far as stuff to do in Copper Harbor; Brockway Mountain Drive is amazing at sunset, I would highly recommend it! The fort itself is super cool to walk around too, and there’s tons of inland lakes around if you like fishing or boating!

I concur with Emma. The whole area is fantastic. Hiking, fishing, unspoiled…it all fits and is unique. Hit up the Jampot as well for some killer treats.

1 Like

We just spent a week up there last fall - We camped at Fort Wilkins (with a Lakeview site only available because it was midweek) and McClain St Pk as well. The Kewenaw is a fun combination of history (copper mining) and immigration, Great Lakes folklore - and stunning natural features. Paying attention to the small things offered (self guiding mine tours/lighthouse climbs, virgin white pine stands, microbreweries, etc etc) opens up so many wonderful experiences.

1 Like