European tents vs US tents

I find myself leaning more towards the European style tents rather than the US tents. Now, I am a beginner and perhaps I am missing something but it seems almost all US tents have rainflies where as the European tents do not. They instead use a material with higher density that does not allow water to penetrate on the tent itself. I like that. Also , mst of the US tents have a lot of screen that can not be covered up,

I am more interested in glamping so I really want something that could hold in the heat if I was to put a heater in the tent. This is why I found the European tents so much more attractive since they have the plastic windows and not as many screen windows.

I see that Coleman offers this style of tent, Weathermaster 4XL Air BlackOut , but does not seem to be available in the US!!!.

AM I wrong about all of this?

Many thanks,
Houston

If you’re more interested in glamping, and want something that holds up better, is it better to maybe use a campground that has existing yurts or heavy duty tents. I can’t recall seeing those heavy duty tents in the US, but I’ve definitely seen it in Europe (specifically remembering France and Croatia). For what it’s worth we have a North Face tent that has a single wall construction and has HELD UP under some ridiculous weather conditions. Like 30 MPH driving winds and rain, cold below freezing temps (which we then used a small space heater-we had a senior dog with us and we wanted her to be comfortable!). I think our specific tent has been redesigned now, but man I have loved our tent and I think we’ll use it till it dies. Camping scenes in Europe seem totally different than in the states, but we only amped once or twice when we lived overseas, and my memory is foggy on all the details now. Google Translate would have made so many aspects of that easier!

It sounds like this is what you’re looking for:

One was given to me as a gift, but that is not my style of camping. It is pretty heavy material; meant to stay up for weeks at a time. The tent was very roomy, you could set up a queen size mattress in there. Their customer service is extremely helpful by the way!

1 Like

I spoke with Coleman this morning and it seems these style of tents are not available in the US. Very odd I think. Although it is expensive to get these tents shipped here it may be worth it to me. Still need to sleep on it a bit.

Thank you guys for your input.

That’s a great point about how long the tents are made to stay up. At camping resorts overseas these stuckers stay up the whole season!

1 Like

Yep! The tent material was similar to what I’ve seen at US glamping sites; such as Under Canvas and other similar resorts. I should have specified that I was gifted the “bell” tent, which is yurt-like in its setup. Very nice, just not practical for what I’m into. If I’m not in the van, I’m most likely backpacking or on a river trip and I need something much, much more compact and lighter.

Howdy! I’ve actually been looking at the brand Crua which is out of Ireland. Really because I want the warmest tent I can get even in the summertime when camping in the mountains in California can get super cold. I have a good sleep system but I’d like the tent itself to be a little bit warmer. I did just get the Coleman six-person waterproof instant tent that is much thicker then the one I had before it. But I’m highly interested in the Crua brand they do have a US Outpost. Check them out. I also looked at canvas tents but they don’t drive very quickly but look amazing for warmth.

1 Like

Kathleen, Where did you get the Coleman six-person waterproof tent? Would like to know your thoughts in more detail about it too if you have some time.

Many thanks,
Houston

I’ve been known to be wrong before…but with the “lighter I’d better” craze here in the U.S., there has been minimal emphasis on stout, long term tents. I still own a few very robust Made in the USA tents that have served me for many decades, a couple for nearly 40 years. But a large tent with minimal netting that our family enjoyed was the Kelty Mantra 7, which we used in all seasons.
Sadly, we are more of a “throw away” society here in the states so outdoor companies produce what will sell…so you get lighter, more delicate, shorter lifespan products.

A couple observations. Single walled tents are not as breathable as they tend to get condensation on the inside, especially if it is cold. Your breath condenses on the inside of the tent. Canvas tents are very heavy, not really a problem if you are car camping, and don’t have to carry them a long way to the campsite. Nice private tent camping spots are sometimes walk in only. Also canvas is terrible if it rains. It gets extremely heavy and you must let it dry out or it will mildew if you fold it up and forget.

Hi Houston, so sorry, I am just seeing this now… here is where I got it, the link should take you to the 6 person, but they also have larger and smaller sizes.

I still have my eye on the crua although this coleman is good value for sure. what did you end up deciding?

Thank you for sharing this information and your experience!

You are correct that there are differences between European and US tent designs, and that European tents often have higher-density materials that do not require a rainfly to keep water out. This can be a desirable feature for those who want to simplify their camping setup and avoid the hassle of setting up an additional rainfly. Additionally, the use of plastic windows and fewer screen windows can help retain heat inside the tent, which may be beneficial if you plan on using a heater in cooler temperatures.

European tents and US tents have some differences in design and features. European tents tend to prioritize compactness and portability, while US tents may prioritize spaciousness and durability. Both offer a range of styles and sizes to suit different needs check on TentrentalsLongisland.