Does anyone else full-time RV?

My husband and I travel full-time in our RV, and have no sticks and bricks home to go back to. Does anyone else full-time? We are currently in east Texas, and may remain in/near Texas for the rest of the year due to the COVID-19. Otherwise, we had plans for Montana, Utah, New Mexico, and Louisiana for this year.

We (me, wife, and 2 daughters) are in the process of moving to full-time, at least for a while. We thought about doing it last fall but things just didn’t line up. We are renting a house right now and the lease expires at the end of June with no option to renew. We decided that we will take our chances with the virus and threat of lockdown and move forward with our full-time plan anyway. Seems like there are still places you can go if you are creative and willing to do a little research.

3 Likes

We are full time in our 5th wheel in Georgia. I was transferred by my job and only had 5 days to pack and move. Our camper has been home for the last year, I love it, but I do miss my house some days.

1 Like

We, 2 adults/3kids travel and full-time. We also have no house to go back to. We just left Utah, which was very accommodating in terms of places to park and camp. National parks were still closed when we left, but state parks had just reopened. Dry camping on BLM land was super abundant and easy. Most Walmart’s have somewhere to fill up water and most Maverick gas stations have free water and sanitary dump stations. We just got into Colorado and it seems like it is mostly open. New Mexico is still closed.

2 Likes

That’s great info, thanks for sharing. We are currently based in NC so we will probably spend some time in the states south of here since those have more campgrounds open right now. Since we are getting into warmer weather we will probably head west like we did last summer to the plains states which seem to be pretty much operating as normal. Good to know Utah and Colorado are good options too.

1 Like

Same here! We are full time with no house either. We have drastically altered our plans as well due to the virus. Stay safe!

1 Like

We have been full time since October. Left the Pacific Northwest and traveled through CA, AZ, NM, TX, and LA. We were in New Orleans when the pandemic was declared and ended up renting a house in North Carolina for 2 months. We’ve been back on the road again since Memorial Day and are finding most things open, especially in the south. It’s decently easy to social distance while traveling about. We’re heading back towards the Northwest just in case things start shutting down again. I’ve read about people who quarantined in a campground for 2 months and they did fine, but I want a little more space if we have to be in isolation again for several months…

Been full-timing for ten years and can’t even imagine going back to a house or condo. Love going newm places and exploring new places all the time. Check out our blog (RV-A-GOGO) for more travel info and destinations. I don’t think you will regret the decision, but if you do, sell the RV! It doesn’t have to be permanent. Just do it for as long as you enjoy it. Good luck.

• List item

We just started full timing this week. We took a long trip last summer and loved it, and planned to full time shortly after that. We put it off until the end of the school year, which came early because of COVID. At the time we were renting our house and asked if we could extend, but the landlord had already rented it out at the end of our lease in June. We figured that meant we should hit the road, so here we are! Seems like several states have stayed fairly open, and now they the weather is good, we can go more places to find areas that are still open. Hope to cross paths with some of you on the road!

2 Likes

Went full-time in my Airstream last October. Still working so haven’t had too much traveling, especially with COVID19.

1 Like

What License did u buy for BLM

Most BLM sites have a 14 day limit, and they give you (or have a place to get) a temporary permit for that length when you pull into the dispersed area.

In Quartzsite, AZ and Imperial Dam, CA there are Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA for short) that have 14 day permits (~$40-$45 for a 2 week period) or the seasonal pass (~$180 for the Sept - Apt time period). The cost of these permits covers access to water, dump station, and garbage collection.

1 Like