Denver to Idaho and Back

Hey everyone, looking for those “off the beaten path” camping areas going from CO to WY to ID to MT and back. Traveling in a camper van and going to be biking, hiking, and chilling. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Are you driving the 75 or 93 through Idaho north to Montana?

Heading 80 west and hoping for some non highways routes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would take the 80 to Interstate 84 toward Boise, Turn north at the Twin Falls exit and drive through the resort town of Sun Valley, to the Sawtooth Mountains and stay at Redfish Lake. There are several first come first served campgrounds. Not far from here is the famous Fisher/Williams Mtn. Bike loop, and there are literally hundreds of hikes you can do around Redfish Lake. I can recommend several. From there you would travel north on Highway 75 through Stanley and Challis, and then HWY 93 through Salmon, and then into Hamilton, Montana. This trip would take you through some of the most beautiful areas of Central Idaho.

3 Likes

Awesome. Thank you for the insight. It looks fantastic there.

If you end up in Hamilton and go on to Missoula, I suggest taking hwy 200 East from Bonner. There’s many roads going to trailheads that are nice for dispersed camping. It will be hunting season so there could be some others around.

1 Like

Definitely off the beaten path but if snow hasn’t started falling yet, I would recommend Highway 212 (Beartooth Highway). Perhaps one of the most scenic roads I have ever driven on. It is located on the western border of Montana and Wyoming.

1 Like