Coffee question

We grind beans with a small, manual grinder

Then make coffee using a Bialetti (or similar) Moka pot.

We make coffee along the rode the same way whenever it’s coffee break time. :slight_smile: We just pull over in a lovely spot, pull out our single burner propane stove and brew up fresh coffee on the back of our truck!

1 Like

We use the MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea filter. It can make one cup at a time, or it can be put into anything that has a mug-sized opening. We like it because it works for coffee and loose tea, since we normally have coffee in the morning then drink tea all day.

I’ve just been heating the water on my stove and using a small french press. Which is my preferred way of making coffee no matter where I’m at!

I am a complete cheater when it comes to this… I use Alpine Start or Laird coffees so that I don’t have to worry about another piece of equipment. Both are great options that actually taste amazing for instant coffees. I just heat my water put in my tumbler and shake and I am good to go!!

1 Like

We use this kind of folding brewer for our pourovers - excellent and easy to store (flat). We do it into a carafe and not cup by cup.
f92e9591b75538abb5945f27e2513f067c74f12a_2_352x500

1 Like

I second that second for the Aeropress. I’m a regular home espresso machine user, but the Aeropress is my go to device for the road. The most important accessory to add to the Aeropress is good airtight containers for the ground coffee, since I don’t bring the grinder on trips.

I purchased a small manual coffee bean grinder on Amazon. It is approximately 7-8" tall and about 1.5" in diameter. A small hand crank turns the burr grinder. Take your favorite beans. I use an Oxo single cup pour over which sits on an insulated cup. The Oxo uses paper filters so cleanup is easy. The Oxo comes with a water reservoir that sits on top of the filter assembly and has a lid to keep everything hot. It makes excellent coffee.

I’ve been looking for an easy, economical alternative to my 1 cup pod brewer which always seems to take too long to make a cup of coffee. And the pods take up so much of my precious storage space. I have this in my Amazon cart and am saving for later. I like the idea of a reusable filter and will look for one to go with this. Thanks so much :grin:

This is the best, Cowboy coffee by Kent Rollins.

2 Likes

Pour over for sure! Easy clean up if you use an eco-friendly coffee filter. Instant coffee if you’re in a jam. :coffee:

That is a very useful video! I am a big coffee lover. Although, I’ve not always been like that :slight_smile: A friend of mine has opened my love towards coffee not so long ago. Moreover, the advantages of it too! Finally, this magic potion is the one thing that makes me feel alive in the mornings :smiley: Fun fact, my friend has given me a coffee mug with “coffee lover Nr1” on it :smiley: He made it with the help of personalised mugs, by the way. Just in case any of you needed it.

1 Like

My way is the simple way (simple man, simple van); mini Keurig or Via packets using the JetBoil. Keurig takes 2% battery power per cup, JetBoil when I’m low on battery or want to make it outside. At least that’s how I’m doing it now, could change when I go full-time this summer.

Whats the difference between single serving packets of coffee and keurig cups ??
Not a lot from what I see, BOTH are very pricey and leave a lot of waste…
Kinda goes against the whole “Dyrt” mentality in regards to minimal impact…

I agree there’s more waste with a K-cup in general. I was pleased to see a brand recently started putting out cups that are plastic and foil only on the top – the rest is coffee and the filter. It eliminates a lot of the plastic from the cup.

For those who use something like an Aeropress, what do you do with the grounds? It always seems like it would be a mess to clean up when you’re finished, but I haven’t tried it so I’m open to something new if folks can share their experience.

-Ari

1 Like

No offense, but it’s more frugal and less waste than a takeout coffee and it’s convenient for my vanlifestyle. I may change, and I am open to change, but this is what I’m starting out with… In regards to Dyrt mentality, and minimal impact, I’m hiking my own hike, have given away or sold all my possessions that didn’t fit in the van, so I hope my impact is less than average. Cheers and happy trails!

2 Likes

I haven’t tried this yet, but it is a new item that was on a Kickstarter campaign. They are about to ship them out. A different low impact solution to coffee on camping trips, traveling, or anything where a light load is preferred.
Proud to be the 3,257th :sunglasses: on @BackerKit for JoGo™ - The Coffee Brewing Straw. Thanks @jogostraw

https://jogo.backerkit.com/community_shares/3394771

To be honest I am not a coffee drinker but my husband is. At home he has to have his Kerig coffee maker. I just recently discovered CUSA Tea. They also have all types of coffee and tea. It is instant. I know. But my husband loves it and I am really tuned into their tea. Google them. It is great. I promise.

1 Like

+1 for Aeroporess (I’ve got the Aeropress Travel version at REI) - at home I’m using an espresso machine. For on-the-road, I’ve tried a French press for a while, but after switching to Aeropress recently I know it’s here to stay. The flavor, IMO is smoother, and easier for cleanup. I’ve been buying either Lavazza Creama e Gusto espresso ground coffee, or when I’m out of it and can’t find it locally, I buy beans and grind them at the in-store grinder set to espresso fine grind.
https://www.lavazza.us/en_US/coffee/espresso/crema-e-gusto.html (also available on giant online ecommerce behemoth the shall go unnamed)

Good coffee immediately is one of our top priorities when waking up. We pack a compact electric coffee maker and grinder and use whole. My husband even sets it all up the night before so it’s only a quick button press to get it started. Yes, we are true addicts.

I have been using this as my in home coffee maker for the past 2 yrs. When we rented a camper for girls week, I purchased the travel version (compact into one self contained unit, except the filers).
I am now the proud owner of my very 1st caper, a t@g teardrop where it now permanently resides. It is nice for each person to be able to brew their own flavor, roast or strength as well as being cost effect, having minimal waist and takes up no space.