Books To Read On A Camping Trip

These books to read on a camping trip feature nature-themed novels, American classics, travel guides, nonfiction travel adventures, and memoirs including some scary selections to read around the campfire: https://bookglow.net/10-books-to-read-on-a-camping-trip/

Do you have book recommendations to read on a camping trip?

Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck
Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon

2 Likes

Ranger Confidential by Andrea Lankford

1 Like

I fully second “Travels with Charley”.
I also love “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson. Very educational about the “park system” while being a tale of hiking with lots of humor.

1 Like

Thank you,
I’ve read 4 of those and now a few that I can add to my next camping trips!!

1 Like

Thanks for these recommendations!

Thank you for the recommendation!

Certainly! Here are some essay collections and books that focus on camping and the outdoors, offering insightful and enjoyable perspectives on the subject:

1. “Walden” by Henry David Thoreau: While not solely about camping, Thoreau’s classic work recounts his experience of living in a cabin by Walden Pond, immersing himself in nature and reflecting on the simplicity of life.

2. “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson: This humorous and entertaining book follows Bryson’s attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail. It offers a mix of personal anecdotes, historical information, and reflections on nature.

3. “Desert Solitaire” by Edward Abbey: In this memoir, Abbey describes his time as a park ranger in Utah’s Arches National Monument. His musings on the desert, solitude, and the value of wilderness make for a thought-provoking read.

4. “The Camping Trip That Changed America” by Barb Rosenstock: This children’s book tells the true story of President Theodore Roosevelt’s camping trip with John Muir in Yosemite, which eventually led to the creation of the National Park System. Click to read more.

5. “On Trails: An Exploration” by Robert Moor: While not solely focused on camping, Moor delves into the concept of trails and their significance in human and natural history. It explores how trails shape our understanding of the world.

6. “The Best American Travel Writing” (yearly anthology): This annual anthology, edited by various authors, compiles the best travel essays from a range of sources. It often includes stories about camping adventures and outdoor exploration.

Blue Highways is a great read. When I was a young, urbane kid, not interested in camping or even traveling, I read Blue Highways and it struck a chord in me. Over time and years I would think about that book and now I find myself here, in this forum, looking to do similar things,

Hey. If you’re into thrilling mysteries, you can’t go wrong with “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson. It’s packed with twists and turns that’ll keep you on the edge of your seat. Another gripping option is “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, a suspenseful story full of surprises. Another series I gotta mention is the game of thrones books. If you’re into epic fantasy, these books will totally transport you to the Seven Kingdoms and keep you hooked the whole time.

Some of the old books still are good.

I just reread White Fang and Call of the Wild.
I am trying to get through the actual book Not Disney’s version, of Swiss Family Robinson. But not as great as I thought it was when I first read it decades ago.

I waited until I knew I had the time to read All of the Harry Potter books in order. One of the few books that are better when watching the movies too. It made the movies better, and the movies made the books better.

If you are a parent, I always recommend “The Last Child in the Woods”. I have been an early childhood teacher for 40+ yrs it explains wild play and what it does for kids. As far as I am concerned should be read by all parents.

Hubby used to read L’Amour books. I read most of them cause my dad always bought them as they came out.

I also like all the Hunger Game books.