Best Camping Coffee

I’ve tried a stovetop percolator and various instant coffees (Starbucks instant being the best of them), but I find that a pour-over gives me a great cup of coffee and the single filter makes it an easy cleanup. The pour over accessory takes up very little room as so the filters, so carrying the actual coffee takes up most of the space and weight.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Aeropress and the “Go” version of it that packs down small. Just needs hot water and fine ground coffee. Love it because the clean-up is very easy…you’re just left with a compact “puck” of used coffee.

3 Likes

I use a pour over with plastic filter holder. I’ve adapted and attached a metal funnel with a 1” PCV sprinkler pipe attached. That fits right into the top of my Coleman thermos. Simply boil the water, pour into the adapted plastic cone and you have coffee that will remain hot for 8 hours +. 5 minutes to make great coffee. If you would like, I will send a photo.

2 Likes

I use an Aeropress go and love it so much that I’ve started using it in my office as well instead of my frenchpress. Unfortunately I have not sprung for a hand grinder so I carry a bag of grounds with me in a sealed container.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Best Camping Coffee:

I love to Aeropress to go on, I have a hand grinder and all the tools that can help me to make coffee and I already ordered a great solo stove from the solo stove coupons and save $20 on my order and now I’m ready to go for any kind of trip.

2 Likes

If I’m car camping, I love my Stanley All-in-One French Press. You boil the water in the steel outer shell, pour your grinds in, wait 5 minutes, and then insert the press.

Backpacking, I go with my Stanley All-in-One cook set and make cowboy coffee. I use a trick from Cowboy Kent Rollins (a YouTube chef) to minimize the grinds when I sip (because you can drink straight from the All-in-One) - I pour a splash of cold water on top after I’ve let the grounds sit for a few minutes to dissolve in the water.

However, my friend Susan, if we’re at a car camp site with electricity - she plugs in her home coffee maker :). I don’t complain because she usually makes the coffee for us when she has the coffee maker with her.

And by us - I mean, she has her 1 cup and I drink the rest of the pot.

1 Like

Drop me a photo here amigo! Thanks!

dude, stanley all in one? Never heard of that! Is it a french press or what?

Correct it’s a French Press.

1 Like

Stanley does make a French Press, yes, I have one. As a caffeine addict, I h e coffee makers for all circumstances!! Here are photos of my “rough”, but very effective drip system. Best part is being able to brew at night and have too hot to drink coffee in the AM for those arrive before light sunrise shots.

1 Like

I do a pour over with a recycled paper filter. The thing I like about this method is that you can take the filter and grounds out and put them in your fire and simply rinse the unit out. And the coffee is great!

2 Likes

Hahahaha. We are coffee snobs but when boondocking, anything hot and remotely like coffee is wonderful!

4 Likes

Coffee tastes so very fine when camping and hiking or biking. All that excessive oxygen I guess.

1 Like

Stanley French Press all day. The boiling cup is mad versatile too. Easily best camping purchase.

I’m all for French Press or AeroPress depending on what I grab on the way out the door. I love the versatility of my Aeropress go, and I never have the issue of grounds like I do with the french press

Yes! Percolators are the bomb! So is our version of camp coffee; put water in a pan, add grounds, boil and drip cold water to sink the grounds. Hot, strong coffee which is delightful at 18 degrees and 7:30 a.m.

Just used our pour-over coffee cone camping for the first time and I was so pleased at the taste and the ease. Your home-crafted technique sounds intriguing! We just found one on Amazon that makes it by the large mug. Heating the water gives you time to gather the mug and grounds and before you know it… joe. My only iffy-bit was the last sip - which was full of sludge. Fixed that the next day with a smidge of paper towel in the bottom of the cone. A cone filter will probably be talked into the bag next time.

IMHO, the best coffee is cowboy style. Boiled in the pot (or you can use the percolator basket). The secret to getting the grounds to settle is to pour COLD water down the spout and on the sides when you take it off the fire. It makes the grounds settle. Boiling it takes away a lot of the acid-y taste. I make it that way at home too.

1 Like

I should try this, thanks for sharing this method :grinning:

That sounds like a fantastic setup for camping! The Aeropress is a popular choice for brewing coffee while on the go due to its portability and ease of use. Pairing it with a hand grinder allows you to freshly grind your beans, ensuring a flavorful cup of coffee. Using a Solo Stove is also a great choice for outdoor adventures. They are known for their efficient and compact designs, making them ideal for camping trips. Plus, saving $20 on your order with Solo Stove Coupons is a nice bonus! When it comes to camping coffee, the key is to have all the necessary tools and ingredients readily available. In addition to your Aeropress and hand grinder, make sure to pack your favorite coffee beans, a kettle or heat source for boiling water, and any additional accessories you prefer, such as a scale or a thermometer.