First, the hosts:
- Bob and Kay are amazing hosts. Very welcoming and really eager to make sure your stay is everything you need it to be.
- Bob gave us some ideas of things to do in the area, and when we visited his gallery, he was patient and spent a lot of time telling us about the artists he shows and his work. Bob is an artist and this is their home and his studio, and we found that to be really cool and quirky.
- Baylee, the burro who lives on site, is sweet as can be- she is super friendly, gentle, and loves carrots and apples.
- They sell firewood and charcoal on site- no need to bring it. Bob will split the wood and bring a wheelbarrow full to your site for less than buying bundles at the store.
- The bathhouse isn't new, but it is fully functional, clean, and has great hot water.
- The campground has a number of different sites that are all unique- some are traditional dirt sites, some are grassier sites, some are by the lakes, some are by the river. It varies a lot- if there is something you are looking for specifically in a site, I'd recommend letting Bob & Kay know when you book. The only unhappy people I've seen review the site over on HC were unhappy because they didn't communicate well with Bob & Kay.
- Our site was right by the actual lakes, just below the studio. It was closer to Highway 50 than the riverside sites, but we weren't bothered by the traffic- it's pretty light traffic and quiets down at night, making the campground very secluded at night. The plus side of the site was proximity to amenities- water, power, bathhouse, etc. When we booked, we had planned on camping with our teardrop trailer, so we had reserved a site that had access to power and was big enough for our camper.
- They have a number of portable fire pits and charcoal grills that are technically shared, but when we were there there were enough that we had full use of one, and Bob told me they were expecting a few more in the next week or so.
- They do host some long-term river raft guides as campers during the summer, but they were super friendly and neighborly, too. All in all, we had a fantastic time, and we will be back.
We loved Bob, Kay, and Baylee.