Women camping safely

I started camping last year. I found myself being nervous to tent camp all by myself. I’m loking to go camping again this year but want to be safe. What do women here do to stay/feel safe while camping alone? Thanks

I always make sure someone knows where I am when camping. I have an app which tracks my location even when I don’t have signal which is very good and also I try to have a safety buddy which I talk to when I know I will be out of range before and after I am traveling in these areas. This not only makes me feel better but also my family. Additionally I keep something loud with me… I have an emergency siren that is designed for jogging and another one that is on my walkie talkie which I make sure is in my tent at any given time. This is just something extra that might scare away someone if they know others are able to hear it around. Lastly I never travel without a weapon… and no I do not mean a gun (that is complicated traveling from state to state) I have something I can use in case of attack like a shovel or hatchet. I have been camping solo for over 3 years now and never had an issue but it is always better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

What app do you use? I’ve only solo camped in campgrounds but I want to start backpacking.

1 Like

I have been using Life 360… it is nice because it provides great maps and tracks my phone… but also when I do not have signal still can pinpoint my location… It gives indicators such as how fast you are traveling, if you have stopped etc… pretty handy for a family or friend app for every day and very useful for traveling solo and having a safety buddy

It’s funny, most of the camping I do is solo, and people are always like ‘wow you camp alone? Aren’t you scared?’. Ok, let’s be fair…have you ever been to a campground? If so, you know you aren’t ever really alone :slight_smile: I find most RV people are generally friendly and tend to look out for others. Being a tent camper and a woman, I make a point to scope out who is around me and will go introduce myself to the nice retired couple in the RV (there is ALWAYS a nice retired couple in an RV). They are like built in Neighborhood Watch.
If I’m in a more sparse area, or one that is all tent camping, I will sometimes put up a ‘dummy tent’: a second tent so it looks like more than one person is there, or expected to be there. I don’t say I’m camping alone, I say I have friends that will be joining me at some point. When you reserve a camping spot, say there are two, not one.
I also bring along my Harley Quinn baseball bat (that was an interesting Halloween :wink: and I keep it with me by the fire and then in my tent at night. Honestly, that one is as much the ‘don’t look like an easy mark, so you aren’t an easy mark’ kinda thing, as much as it is a defensive weapon. At night, I sleep with my headlamp, car keys and bat in exactly the same spot every time, so reaching for them in the middle of the night requires no fumbling in the dark. If I hear something that gives me pause, I can use the key fob to make the lights on my car blink. This lets anyone that might be lurking around, know that I am aware they are there.
All this said . . . I have never had an issue. I have never felt unsafe at a campground. When I’ve done dispersed camping, it takes that first night for me to acclimate, but following nights are not an issue. Hope that is helpful.

2 Likes

Similar to the other awesome solo female campers…

• Let someone not with me know where I am - or at least when to expect me back
  • Sleep in my tent (instead of in my hammock) - no one knows how many people are in a tent unless they’ve been watching you.
  • Make ‘friends’ with the neighbors
  • Choose my campsite based on surroundings and who is near. I’ll camp anywhere when I’m with someone, but won’t camp somewhere I don’t feel confident alone.
  • Since I already have bear spray in my kit, I keep this inside my tent as my safety weapon (works for humans and animals)
  • Tie the tent zippers closed from the inside (but not too tight because you want to be able to get out if you have to pee)
2 Likes

I like the dummy tent idea… that is different haven’t thought about that…

1 Like

@Bunny I also find the Dummy Suitcase to be a valuable asset for those of us with cats, that like to ‘help’ when we are packing for an adventure :smiley:

2 Likes

HI Ladies! Great tips and I want to add that I have a 4 digit suitcase lock that I put around the inside zippers so that no one can open them from the outside. You can even use rubber bands or string. TMI but you can also get ‘bathroom bags’ … think airplane airsickness bags but designed for women/mini bathrooms so you don’t have to leave your tent at night. The one thing I pause about is hiking alone, but that’s more about animals than people. Do you hike alone? I saw someone mentioned bear spray… thoughts?