Winter SUV Boondocking, Dry, Primitive

I’m looking for input on winter boondocking in VT. I tend to primitive camp in the Adirondacks, sleeping in a SUV. No amenities required besides the parking spot and a small perimeter to step out. I’m doing this to get an early start on winter recreation. I have the cold figured out for sleeping overnight, so it’s not that aspect of the adventure.

I’d like to find a non-campground and preferably a private land campsite.

What do you think? Do places exist for this? Would it be considered a dry RV spot?
I basically need a farmer who is willing to let me park overnight for a few bucks.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks

Hello from a fellow car camper in VT! Finding private land from a farmer may be difficult to do unless you are driving around and know knocking on doors but here are a few ways I sleep in my car in VT.

• Trailhead parking lots — The long trail runs throughout and since most of these areas are hike in they allow overnight parking. Make sure to check the signage but here is a good resource for those lots: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org
  • Ski resorts— Your username tipped me off that you might be headed to a few shredding spots. Most of these lots allow for overnight camping just check with their website.
  • National Forests— Free camping/boondocking is allowed in National Forests unless otherwise posted. Check out those spots on The Dyrt using PRO Map Layers (purple is NF land).
3 Likes

Is HipCamp too obvious of an option? Camping in a farmer’s unused land is probably one of my most-often used HipCamp landing spots. It may not be terribly common in Vermont, but you could give it a look.

I’ve used Hip. Thanks for sharing your experience. The DIY community here was worth tapping. Plus I already had an account from a few yrs back. :wink:

Vanly is something app that might be worth checking out. Anything from people’s driveways to space on their larger properties is listed on there.

1 Like

Laura, thank you for the recommendation, that’s exactly what I was looking for!