Where to camp around nashville?

where should I camp around nashville? is it pretty easy to feel like you’re “getting away from it all” or is it too much of a metropolis for that?

1 Like

Plenty of places but everything is closed or booked on the weekends. Montgomery Bell is a great local place…not to far from the city.

When you say ‘around Nashville’, how far a radius are you willing to wander? There are a number of places within a couple hours time, when they open.

Not too far outside of Nashville going south are two hidden gems on the water. Salt Lake and Defeated Creek. They are a must for us each year!

1 Like

Depends on what you’re looking for. Henry Horton is a state park a little more than an hour south with lots of hiking. Safe Harbor RV Resort is a short drive to downtown and is directly on Percy Priest lake. You can rent boats at the marina.

1 Like

Most of my favorite places to camp outside of Nashville are 2 1/2 hour drive away but like others have said there are a few state park options that are closer. The closest to the city that is neat is the short backpacking trail on the Volunteer Trail at Long Hunter State Park. You’re right on the Percy priest lake and there’s only a couple campsites on an offshoot of the main trail so it’s private.

If you’re willing to drive a 2-3 hours out of town there’s a lot more options that feel secluded.

1 Like

I agree. Less than two hours drive gets you some pretty places. Cloudland Canyon outside Chattanooga, or Honeycomb Campground where you can pitch your tent inches from the lake and wake to the most beautiful sunrises on the water.

Salt Lick Creek on Cordell Hull Lake / Cumberland River is an absolute gem. About an hour East of Nashville. Lots of water front campsites. Very well maintained and clean. Peaceful and quite with plenty of space. There is a swimming beach and a boat launch ramp also available in the campground property.

I go at least once every summer or fall.

I like to hike at Henry Horton State Park although I have never camped there. It is so close to home I just day hike the trails there or fish/float the river.