Solar panels and RVing

After determining your solar power requirements and learning about solar panels, you should determine how much battery you need to support your solar panels. This is usually determined by the type and size of the setup you have.

A 12v battery power source is standard on most setups. This battery can provide 100 amp hours of electric storage, which is comparable to 300 watts of solar panel output. So, if your setup includes two 12v or four 6v batteries, you’ll have twice the storage capacity of a standard one and be able to store twice as much energy.

I have been using solar power for a while and solar panels can be a viable investment in the long run. How you use your RV, how long you’ll run it, and the number of devices on board all affect the total power usage your van requires.

If you are looking for the best solar panels and kits for your RV, then the 12-volt solar battery charger from Renogy should not be missed. It can provide 100 watts of power, allowing you to run multiple devices at the same time. Another impressive fact is that the solar panel is built from strong and sturdy materials as well as high conversion efficiency modules.

Three panels of 400w each. My own recommendation is to start with a larger battery capacity. If you need extra power in your battery bank, you can always add more solar panels.

Lithium Valley 5KWh Wall-Mounted Battery,the best choice for battery energy storage in 2023
URL:5KWh Wall-Mounted Battery - Buy Powerwall, Wall Mounted LiFePO4 Battery, 51.2V 100Ah 5kWh Product on Lithium Valley

I always use these panels, even if my campsite is nearby. It really saves lives

On our property, we have installed several Renogy solar panels, which are being utilized to power a DIY WiFi security camera installation placed along our driveway. This setup has been operational for the past two years, and we are happy with its performance. One of the benefits of using Renogy panels is that they can generate a substantial amount of power, even when exposed to partial shade, thanks to their microcrystalline cell technology. Just for information i got my panels from here

There are many different setups that people use for boondocking, depending on their individual needs and preferences. Some people prefer to use solar panels, like you have, to generate their electricity, while others might use a generator or a combination of both. In addition to solar panels, some people might also have wind turbines or other alternative energy sources, like hydroelectric power or fuel cells.

When it comes to batteries, lithium batteries like your BattleBorn batteries are becoming increasingly popular because they are lightweight, long-lasting, and can be discharged more deeply than traditional lead-acid batteries without damaging them.

Some people might also use a battery management system (BMS) to monitor and control the charge and discharge of their batteries, which can help to extend their lifespan.

Other factors that can affect a boondocking setup include the size and type of RV or camper, the number of appliances and devices that need to be powered, and the climate and terrain in the area where you are boondocking.

Overall, there is no one “right” way to set up a boondocking system - it really depends on your individual needs and preferences.

I’ve come across some glow stuff that has been a perfect energy saver for my dry camping, cutting down on my need for the solar load and the amp draw. Stuff is amazing and lasts all night to keep the trailer lit for finding in the dark. No need to switch on the LED exteriors any more. Found it while I was poking around Amazon for some stuff for cutting energy consumption. No kidding, the stuff glows all night!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BW728N74?ref=myi_title_dp

Solar panels are rated in watts. However, the actual power output might be slightly lower due to factors like temperature, shading, and efficiency. Multiply the total wattage by the number of hours each device will be in use per day. This gives you the daily watt-hour (Wh) consumption for each device. So you can determine solar power demands.

To find the right solar power setup for your RV, assess your energy usage, then use an RV solar panel calculator to determine the necessary battery banks, solar panels, and charge controller.

The battery bank is sized based on the energy demands of the RV. The solar system is sized to the battery bank - 2W solar/Ahr battery.

I had a Sportsmobile with 2 each 88Ahr wet cell batteries, a 1 190W portable panel and a 600W inverter. It worked great for my needs.

Now I have a 26’ travel trailer with 1 each 275Ahr lithium battery, 600W solar on the roof, and a 3000W inverter. I haven’t had a chance to try this setup. But, I still have the 190W portable just in case as well as 2 each Champion 2500W portable dual fuel inverter generators. If I want to use the a/c or microwave during boondocking (or if it’s been cloudy), I can hook up the generator.