Social Distance camping in New England

Good day everyone. My family and I are new to camping, and we just purchased our first (used) pop-up camper. We’ve hit a local state park in RI already and done a couple of Harvest Hosts sites, mainly because we’ve been able to manage the social distancing really well at these places.
My wife wants to avoid private campgrounds because she fears we won’t be able to distance as well, and will be in sites right on top of each other. While I like boondocking, it would be nice to have hookups, so I want to try a private campground, but also want her to be comfortable.
Does anyone know any good campgrounds in RI, CT, or MA that have good social distancing guidelines that people are following, and sites that are fairly private and spread out? Thanks!

Sorry I can’t give any specifics on places but what we have been doing (In Az) is looking at reviews directly on the Dyrt app and other photos. They have been helpful when choosing a campground.

Hey there,

My wife and I camp at a FANTASTIC campground in CT, called Countryside RV Park. This place is very quiet, very spacious, all sites are full hook up, and it is NOT very busy of a campground. It is owned and operated by a older couple who are soooo very nice. They don’t advertise because they like to keep it a low key campground. But I will tell you it is our favorite. There isn’t much to do for kids, I think there are swing and I know there is fishing in there stocked pond. It’s just a nice and peaceful campground.

1 Like

paging @Jean_C we need expert New England camping advice :smile:

I am just starting to explore campgrounds in Massachusetts, so I can’t give you first hand advice yet. I have reservations the next 2 weekends and will report back then. I’ve gone through Myles Standish and Harold Parker and found they have large sites, many very spread out, but I can’t speak to behavior. I’m hoping to check out some other campgrounds this weekend, too.

1 Like

This past weekend I visited a few campgrounds in western Massachusetts. I stayed at Bonnie Brae (review on the Dyrt) where campsites were small and close, but people kept their distance. No touch check in, owners delivered firewood, etc.

Pittsfield State Forest had campsites in a few different areas, some very rustic with only pit toilets nearby (you could drive to comfort stations with showers/flush toilets). Sites were large and often spread out.

Lee campground in October Mountain State Forest had decent sites and facilities, but an annoying hum from a nearby electrical station.

There’s some nice hiking in these areas. Pittsfield SF had a small pond and biking tasks.

1 Like

Savoy Mountain was another State Forest campground in Massachusetts where the sites are large and spread out, with flush toilets and showers. Far less crowded than nearby Mohawk Trail SF campground. Mt Greylock is nearby for exploring as well.

Hey Greg_I, we just got back from Countryside. It was great!! Thanks for the great recommendation!

1 Like