Oklahoma state parks

Just read this dyrt article about state parks in oklahoma. https://thedyrt.com/magazine/local/oklahoma-state-parks/ I’ve never been there. What’s y’alls favorite?

As someone who goes to Oklahoma a lot, I am from Texas, I have really enjoyed many of the parks. I would advise checking out Great Salt Plains in northern Oklahoma for some really unique crystal digging, a great fun day for sure and also if you like a lake there is one at the park with multiple camping options. Beavers Bend State park is amazing when It comes to river access and lots of fun outdoor activities and camping options. The area there is beautiful and has a great history in the visitor center you will enjoy discovering. Chickasaw Recreation Area has a lot of beautiful points and smaller waterfalls. The camping there is plentiful and you can easily find yourself finding lots of things to explore not only in the rec area but also at the neighboring Chickasaw Cultural Center. I would definitely advise visiting both. If you are making a few days of this area, you can drive just a short distance to Turner Falls while there and either check out the park itself or the viewpoint for one of the best waterfalls in Oklahoma. Inside the park they have camping and hiking in addition to swimming in the falls area. Some great fried pies on your way out and a a drive through feeding area for animals at Arbuckle Wilderness just across the highway from the entry point.

1 Like

Been doing some exploring in Oklahoma the past couple of days and also would add Robbers Cave State Park to your list of go to places. Really cool history there of bank robbers hiding out in the caves. Now you can hike to the caves and around the mountainside. There are some amazing views with that but also they have water ways which allow you get out and fish, swim or enjoy a day on a kayak, paddle boat or canoe. These are all available for rent at the park. Additionally they have a neat nature center which will be reopening soon and a small grocery store. I am going to be doing a full review of the property soon but have to sit down and make time to sift through the thousands of photos…lol… LOVED THIS ONE

1 Like

Beavers Bend State Park, or Hochatown on Broken Bow Lake. Beavers is below the damm of Broken Bow on the Mountain Fork River. Plenty of hiking, kayaking and fly fishing where the River winds back and forth across Hwy 259A. Hochatown is on the lake side with decent RV sites less than a mile from the lake, or tent camping right on the lake. There’s even a lodge in that area for those who don’t want to rough it. The lake is gorgeous, crystal clear with numerous islands and coves to explore. Definitely a boaters paradise. I’ve been going there for 15 years…Love it.

1 Like

We have family in Texas, so we’ve cut through Oklahoma a few times. So far, we camped at Lake Wister, Beavers Bend, Roman Nose, Sequoyah, & Lake Murray. Did a day trip to Robbers Cave from Lake Wister.

My favorite was the Elephant Rock loop at Lake Murray. WE could jump in the lake right behind our campsite, and it also has a nice golf course.

This November we’re going to hit up Great Plains so we can go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

My only negatives about the Oklahoma SPs are most of the shower houses need updating. The parks themselves have been great.

We are checking out all the State Parks in Oklahoma, since we moved here from Virginia. We have 2 faves we go to Natural Falls near the border of Arkansas and Greenleaf State Park.

Natural Falls State Park has a great hike down to the falls. They have a yurt camping area, tent & RV camping. Playgrounds for kids, disc golf, trails.

Greenleaf State Park is great for fishing, kayaking, hiking. There is a splash pad for kids, trails that are wheelchair friendly and is rather large area. It has cabins, tent & RV camping and was built for the Officers and their families to spend time away relaxing after one of the World Wars.

Both are beautiful during the fall foliage.

1 Like