Must see locations!

I would like to know all of your guys’ favorite spots. I’m looking for somewhere with great hiking and stunning views. I’m also looking for some good places you can drive/hike off the beaten path some and find some great secluded spots. I can’t decide where to go. I’m open for anywhere in the United States.

What season are you looking at? Utah, Arizona has tons of off the beaten path beauty, but I wouldn’t recommend it in the height of summer

2 Likes

A must see is Bryce National Park. Probably near the top of most lists. Do some planning for best season.

3 Likes

Someday I’ll make it to the Napeequah Valley in Washington State.

2 Likes

I was amazed at Theodore Roosevelt National Park (North Dakota of all places!) It was jaw droppingly spectacular. Canyons, ridges, goats, wild horses, buffalo. Lots of trails, nice meandering river for kayak or canoe. Good mountain biking. Trails and off trail hikes.
Very under recognized National Park!
Camp at Buffalo Gap in the adjacent national grassland. Trails from there lead to the park (I’m told by mt bikers). $6/night with heated showers and flush toilets.

1 Like

As Taylor mentioned, UT & AZ are incredible. We fell in love with Kanab, Utah… central to so much and an incredible amount of BLM land and TONS of off the beaten path places. Seasonality is definitely important, though, so preparations are necessary.

1 Like

What season do you recommend going to that area?

Personally, I’d say fall! This year has been a little wacky with crowds and “off season” timing thanks to COVID visitation increasing, but fall is typically much, much cooler and much less crowded in the more popular areas.

1 Like

Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California. At the foot of the Eastern Sierras. Huge boulder fields and disbursed camping between the majestic Sierras and Death Valley. A must see, but check the local weather first as dramatic swings are possible. So much to see and do in any direction.

3 Likes

Not sure where you reside or how far you want to travel or how long you like to stay out or what your definition of stunning views are…but here goes in no particular order:

1. Dolly Sods Wilderness-WV (47 miles)
  2. Grayson Highlands -VA (miles/AT)
  3. Pisgah National Forest-NC (countless miles and front or backcountry camping)
  4. Big Pine Creek Campground-CA (inyo national forest)
  5. North Fork Mountain Trail-WV Seneca Rocks (numerous front/backcountry-nearby Spruce Knob)
  6. Colorado Springs/Woodland Park-Co (innumerable hiking trails, multiple front country campgrounds…Cheyenne mountain range, Pikes Peak, Stanley canyon, etc)
2 Likes

On top off all that - it’s free!