Lets share our camp kitchens!

I like to keep it simple, so I just bring along a classic coleman camp stove, a pot, a knife, and a spork. There’s a suprising amount of food you can make with such a simple set-up. What does everyone else use?

2 Likes

I think it depends on what i’m doing. Most of my main camping now is me planning trips for friends so it is a glamping kitchen for sure so I can accommodate all their needs. But when it is just me and my partner we go very basic. I try and save all my excess stuff for big group trips.

Glamping kitchen: Kelty pop up Sun Shelter, GCI outdoor Master Cook Station, Coleman Triton stove, Primus pots and pans and mugs, 6 gallon water jug, Icemule cooler, Fozzils plates and bowls, and Morsel sporks.

Backpacking Kitchen: Primus Omnifuel stove and white gas (white gas is cheaper and refillable), Mountain house, Primus pot, Fozzils, and Morsel sporks.

3 Likes

I have two models of SoloStoves that interstack with different pans/pot/dishes, as well as their tripod. For utensils I have a swiss army knife style set that when opened splits into two pieces giving you a fork/spoon or fork/knife combo. Cups are a mix of cups I have liked for camping over time.
Add a 2 1/2 gallon water bag with a gravity filter, and a P -38 and I have the basics. After that it would depend on if something special was needed, more people, trip specific changes…

***Depending on the trip I may bring a Biolite along to get the power charging benefits as well.

1 Like

Do you know which SoloStove you have? Always thought they seemed big but if they can nest with pans/pots that seems pretty efficient.

I have the Lite, which nests in Pot 900, the Titan which nests in Pot 1800, the Tripod, and the 3 pot set.

I camp out of my kayak, so footprint matters, not as much as a backpacker though. They are nice, all of mine is on its 7th season of heavy use and no issues or complaints.

Glamping: pop-up tent, folding coleman table with side rails for my propane grill, 1 gallon jug of water. Two camp totes with everything except the kitchen sink: plates, mugs, utensils, cutting board, knife, can opener, Dawn soap, dishcloth, bucket, non-stick skillet, spatula, aluminum foil, paper towels, lighter…everything.

Backpacking: Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium pot/lid, Pocket Rocket 2, BIC lighter, TOAKS titanium long-handled spoon, Mountain House or pasta/tuna combos, Sea to Summit Delta mug without the lid, sawyer mini, and platypus water bottles.

2 Likes

I car camp so I still have a $20 butane stove from Walmart I bought 4 years ago. It still works great! If I’m wanting to conserve water, I use a paper towel to clean out my pan/bowls instead of washing with soap and water. It does the trick.

We have a Lodge Dutch oven that we can make a variety of things in. My favorite thing so far has been instant pot macaroni and cheese- definitely something you can only do at an electric site!

7 Likes

Such a good idea… never thought to do that!

2 Likes

For me, it depends entirely on the camping situation.

Usually, when we are camping in America, we use our Coleman double-burner stove for most of our foods. But sometimes, especially when we are in India like I am right now, we use an over-the-fire grill that I had made here. (Found one on Amazon, printed out the pic minus the price, brought it to the metal-workers, and he made one for me out of heavy iron!!). Not for backpacking, lol, but very useful!!

2 Likes

There was one time we were camping at Darien Lake State Park in NY, and actually baked bread with a breadmaker while Car-Tent camping!! We were like, “not exactly roughing it, eh??” But it was GREAT :smiley:

3 Likes

Hahaha that’s awesome! It looks a lot like a rice cooker. A friend of mine brought a whole coffee maker camping one time.

2 Likes

I was at a non electric campground at the Grand Canyon, the only outlet was in the bathroom, and one morning there was a lady holding her coffee maker while it brewed :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I once cooked marinated lamb tenderloin on a hot flat rock from the fire with foil roasted vegetables. It was my first camping trip with this girl, she’s now my wife!

2 Likes

We love to cook outside! What we use depends on what we are doing – in our camper or backcountry. We love to cook on a fire when we can, but also have a 2 burner Primus car camping stove, a Whisperlite backcountry stove, and a vintage 2 burner stove in our camper.

Our favorite pan of all time is the Banks FryBake; we use it every day. We can make just about anything in that pan…from eggs to casseroles to cakes. We even made homemade focaccia while boondocking last month. We also love our Dutch Oven for lasagna and such, and our Amish waffle iron 'cause waffles in the woods are just so delightful!

Since we live full-time on the road, we love to challenge ourselves with what we can make with very few “normal” kitchen appliances. We have just a few pots and pans, and the only electric appliance we have in our camper kitchen is an immersion blender for pesto, sauces, whip cream, and smoothies.

5 Likes

I sometimes like to be fancy.

3 Likes

Learning cast iron but heavy and a lot to pack! I just got my first big camp stove and I LOVE IT. Packs compact, sets up easy and no fighting with wet tinder or contrary firer starters. (Though I still use them too :wink:

2 Likes

I have an entire board on Pinterest for camp kitchens. :slight_smile: Our last trip I went a little overboard, I think. Definitely not something I would do for a quick 2 night trip. This was a tent only site but had water and electricity. I have a Cabela’s deluxe camp kitchen, Coleman stove, a single serve coffee maker…stuff I’ve accumulated over about 10 years. We also have an off brand 12 volt refrigerator/freezer. We used to have a camper. Now that we’re back to tent (car) camping, it’s nice to have the big kitchen. I much prefer cooking outside anyway. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Uploading: IMG_20190703_193938.jpg… I LOVE IT!

1 Like

we probably eat better when we camp then at home! Love my Cast iron (but we pack our truck so have the room and the weight isnt an issue). We usually cook over the fire and have a campfire grate but I always bring a small stove as back up for whatever weather-wise might be going on and morning coffee if my addict…uh…coffee craving
isnt up to starting a fire!

1 Like