Let's introduce ourselves!

Dave here, thanks for the invite! I’m a wee bit of a traveler, but have made my home base in sunny SWFL. I’m a lover of tent camping, prefer the mountains backcountry backpacking, but enjoy car camping too (during shoulder seasons). Have hiked and camped in most of the lower 48, and other parts of the world. Passionate about paddling and biking, and doubly so when combined with long self-sustained excursions. I ordinarily try to spend one third of the year in my tent to maintain a semblance of sanity. Last year was the exception and this year isn’t shaping up so far with this craziness. image|666x500

2 Likes

My name is Derrick and I am from Iowa. I prefer tent camping especially in the backcountry. I own a travel trailer also that I use mostly during the heat of summer.

4 Likes

I’m one of the Ranger Kristas from Minnesota! I live near the twin cities and I do most of my state park day trips to places that are within two hours of here. My favorite part of MN is the north shore, so most of my tent camping is done there. I’m looking forward to checking out more camping destinations in Wisconsin since I have family out that way as well!

I love road trips around national parks, gardening, trail riding, and reading.

6 Likes

Hi Rachel here. My husband and I camp with our 2 greyhounds. We have gone from tent to popup and now to rpod teardrop. We live in North Central Florida close to Gainesville. I grew up in SW Florida. We like to hike and kayak. Our plans are to go full-time camper traveling in the next 5 years. I love hearing everyone’s adventures and seeing pictures.

4 Likes

Ya! I love Elements so much, super bummed they’re not making them anymore. Mine is an 05…I think I’ll just upgrade to a 2011 after this one!

I work in the Bay Area so I tend to car camp along the coast from Pacifica down to Santa Cruz. I like waking up and going for a walk to nearby beaches. I’ll also go up near Mt Tam and Point Reyes into Sonoma. I’ve roadtripped up to Mendocino and Humboldt and that is lovely and soooo much less crowded. And of course into Tahoe, Mammoth Lakes, the Sierra, Yosemite. Less crowded national parks like Kings Canyon and Sequoia are nice.

If I’m alone then I pull off wherever, residential streets, national forest land etc. With friends then we sometimes book an actual campground. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Lori from Knoxville, TN. I like all kinds of camping, but my favorite is in our rooftop tent! It’s so comfy. Feels like sleeping in a tree house! My husband and I camp as often as we can, and love multi- destination trips. We have a 21 year old son who’s in the Army, and an 18 year old daughter who is a college softball player. Many nights spent camping near the ball park or army base!

6 Likes

Our adventure began in 1998 with the purchase of a Honda Goldwing motorcycle, a two-man tent, 2 sleeping bags and a dream to camp on the beach. Our first camping trip together was in Destin Fl, on the beach in 100 degree weather. On the Wing we have since camped our way through almost every state as well as Canada visiting many State and National Parks along the way. We can’t tell you how many times we said “one day, when we get our Coach, we are going to come back to this area and spend some quality time”

Well that day is here, we still have the Wing and the two-man tent, but the new addition is our Georgetown Coach and Jeep Wrangler. We are excited to re-visit so many places across the US, immerse ourselves in the local culture and explore living in new locations.

9 Likes

Hey there, I’m Nancy! My partner and I have lived full-time in our RV for the past nine years but before that home was New Orleans. We made the decision to quit our jobs (as a wildlife biologist with the NPS and USFWS and a retired veterinary scientist) and sell our “stuff” to hit the road in search of exploring natural places, funking museums, and local restaurants. Our travels have taken us across the country and Canada and we continue to love living in an RV as much as we did in the beginning. We enjoy hiking (with our 8-year old Labrador retriever), fish, paddle and explore the natural and cultural side of the places we go. Along the way, we pause a bit and volunteer and work camp at a wide array of places like state parks, wineries, restaurants, and private campgrounds. You can find us on the web at RVAGOGO where we blog about our adventures and on Instagram.

7 Likes

Hey Rangers!

I’m a life-long outdoor enthusiast and have been camping for 30+ years. I’ve done motorcycle camping, tent camping, owned a pop-up and recently purchased a camper trailer. My brother bought a motorcycle trailer so now we can camp, ride and mountain bike all on the same adventure. I currently live in northeast IL, about 45 min form Chicago but dream of retiring in Colorado.

Scott

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Steve! I’ve been a life long a camper that grew up in the Adirondacks, then did 21 years in the Army (yeah, lots of military camping in the most wonderful places around the world <— eye roll), and now live in Huntsville, AL. My wife (Kelly) and I mainly camp with our teardrop trailer, but love to hike too and will occasionally take off on a weekend backpacking trip. While we try to camp at least once a month, for the past few years we have also done 2-3 week summer road trips all around the east coast. This year, if we get out of this pandemic, we plan to get into the Midwest for our yearly road trip. Hope to see you all on the trail!

5 Likes

My dad runs mail in an Element so I am contemplating taking it out and trying it out for myself…lol. He retires soon so won’t be needing it in the same capacity. The urban camping is something that I think works well for regular vehicles, less conspicuous and easier to do so with. I have a small car so when I camp currently if I can’t find a good spot I can always slide in the back seat for mine so I want to keep that as an option.

1 Like

Zach here! I’m currently finishing my graduate degree at Central Washington University in Cultural and Environmental Resource Management (so this will be my life for the foreseeable future). I’ve lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest and Montana and recently have moved into a position with the National Park Service at Olympic NP. I love car camping and backpacking and do pretty frequent scouting trips trail running up in the Olympics, I’ve owned a VW bus for a while and am still exploring the best this little corner of the country has to offer!

Here’s a photo from a three day backpacking trip in the Desolation Wilderness around Lake Tahoe. That was the sunset after a hailstorm rolled through that almost collapsed my tent!

8 Likes

Hello Everyone!
So great to read about you and your different camping lifestyles.
Where to begin about me? I grew up in Germany and have always loved the outdoors. After moving to the states and meeting my husband, my real outdoor adventures began with backpacking. Anywhere from the Sierras to the North Cascades to the Rockies, we explored by backpack (with a side trip to Switzerland and Chile via backpack as well). Once our kiddo came along we started to incorporate car camping into our backpacking routines. After moving from Portland, OR to Mazama, WA we upgraded our car camping set up to a Cricket trailer! That was awesome for summer trips, however as we found ourselves escaping more the winters in the NW, the Cricket was not warm enough and we upgraded that to a 17" towbehind BigFoot trailer 4 years ago. 2 years ago we moved into our camper permanently and have been traveling up & down the western states (following the seasons). My spouse & son are avid rock climbers now, so most of our destinations are related to that. We prefer camping on BLM or State Forest lands, with no one around. (Which also often requires us cleaning up sites)

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Barbie from the St. Louis, MO area. We mostly camp in our pop up camper but we still do some tent camping here and there. We started out our marriage car/tent camping across the east to NY on our honeymoon. We have camped with the Scouts with both our daughters and our son. Our kids are pretty much grown now but we all still like to camp and enjoy nature!

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Emma :blush: I’m originally from the Detroit area, but recently I moved to Marquette in the Upper Peninsula! Last summer it was just me, my boyfriend, and our Honda Civic (Hondini), but this summer we’ll have our dog Sully with us to!! We like to take one trip out of state a year, but we’re pretty blessed to live in such an incredible state with so many places to see. Once I graduate college with my degree in Environmental Studies, the dream is to get a van, and travel the whole country!

9 Likes

Hello there!

I’m Anna! I’m originally from MI but I’ve been living in various countries abroad in recent years. I’ve lived in France, Hong Kong, Russia, South Korea, China and Japan. I love to backpack (especially in the mountains) and I’ve backcountry-camped on 5 different continents. I’ve been a long time Dyrt user (it’s one of my absolute favorite communities) and I look forward to listing my international campsite recs if the Dyrt ever expands to include other countries!! In the meantime, I’m excited to share insight from some of my American summer adventures :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey everyone! Andrew here, I’m a HS science teacher in Arkansas, and am ready to go to war over why Arkansas is the the best state for the outdoors! haha. I love getting outdoors, whether that’s trail running, mountain biking, rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking…just about anything that gets me outdoors I’m willing to try. Every now and think I like to chronicle my trips, gear I like, or other outdoor experience with videos that I put up on my YouTube Channel “NoExcusesTV”. Can’t wait to get to talk about my experiences in the outdoors and learn from fellow nature lovers!

Sylvan in NM

9 Likes

Hi! My husband Ray and I and our old man Puggle Pugsly started out TT adventure exactly one year ago and we’ll never look back! We have a Kodiak Cub 176 RD and live in Maryland. We typically gravitate to state parks in our 5 state area (PA, DE, MD, WV, and VA). Our 1st VA trip was cancelled in April but we’re hopeful about rescheduling. We have a private campground reserved in TN this summer. Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Hello all! Casi and Jason here from @steeryourwheel and https://steeryourwheel.com/. We just ended almost 3 years of fulltime travel both in a failed brand new class A (long story) and Airbnbs/tents. We are now owners of some property in the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC and are looking forward to getting back out on the trail and hopefully hosting others here someday soon!

8 Likes

Hi fellow campers!! Great community here. I’ve been camping my whole life. I basically love doing most anything outdoors including hiking, biking, backpacking, and RVing. I’ve got to get out camping at least once a month to feel normal. One of my favorite memories is hiking the entire High Sierra Trail (HST) with my youngest son. That was a trip to remember forever!

Born and raised in Southern California. My wife and I have 4 kid who also love to camp of course. Did they have a choice?? Nope :slight_smile:

Two years ago I followed my dream and opened up an online store called www.hitched4fun.com. I wanted to sell and share RVing products like fiberglass flagpoles, gold prospecting items and apparel that I use and enjoy with fellow campers. It’ been a great journey.

Here’s a picture of us and some friends while camping at Calico Ghost Town.

8 Likes