Keeping your tent warm!?!

so, the weather stayed in the 50’s and quite comfortable. I put the emergency blanket between the tent and rain fly, as well as one between the tarp and tent. I definitely felt that the top one helped retain the heat, I have no idea if the bottom one added, but it didn’t detract. Plus now I have an extra one for my car. I had camping booties (https://www.rei.com/c/camp-booties) and a balaclava (https://www.rei.com/search?q=balaclavas) plus my 32 degree rated sleeping bag AND and 4 rated sleeping pad on my cot. I also heated soapstone and had them in my tent but I think they only really help if you wrap them and put them in your bag (ala the hot water bottle trick). Overall, I think the sleeping pad and the booties made all the difference (compared to similar weather without using those). Plus, if the weather unexpectedly dips, I will have these on hand to still get a good night’s sleep!

2 Likes

I’m going to assume since you have a cot, that you are car camping.

We use this Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater on every trip. We’ve been comfortable in our 15 degree down sleeping bags in our roof top tent at temperatures in the upper 20s. It’s also nice to have the propane heater at night when there are fire bans. We keep it on a cookie sheet so it won’t tip over on the memory foam topper. Although, I’m going to ditch the cookie sheet for a taller set up, because the heater melted the foot box of my sleeping bag.

It has an oxygen sensor that will turn off the heater if it senses low oxygen (nothing ruins a trip like carbon monoxide poisoning). You can use the heater on 1 reg Coleman propane tank, on low, over night. We bring a 20 gal propane tank with a long hose/adapter and run it through a space in the bottom on the tent. Most of the time, with temps over 40*F, we just turn it on before we get in the tent to warm it up. Even on low it can heat the RTT to over 75 degrees, so we shut it off to sleep. Our 15 degree sleeping bags can handle the temperature drops from there.

Seriously, this is one of the best pieces of gear we ever bought.

1 Like

Unfortunately in colder conditions you must eliminate airflow and create a “thermal barrier” to trap or maintain heat. An insulated sleeping pad is a necessity but the cot allows for airflow beneath you…defeats the purpose. Had your pad been directly on the ground, you would’ve been warmer. Next up is your bag…even if you are a hot sleeper, a 32 deg bag would be marginal in 30 weather. On a cot, even with an insulated pad, a 20 deg bag might not do the trick (unless you brought some of the mentioned sources of heat). Mesh on your tent body is another heat stealer. In cold weather months, I use a 4 season tent TNF VE-24…which eliminates airflow and can assist in raising inside temps by 5–10 degrees, depending on fellow occupants, which can make all the difference to shivering sleepless or a sound nights rest.

1 Like

I have been on the fence about getting this heater myself. My friend who lives in the midwest uses it and like you swears by it. I might just add it to my gear in the case I find myself again in what was supposed to be warm weather but decided to drop to without consulting me!!! Thanks!

1 Like

Lots of great info above…
I typically camp above 9,000 feet, it can get brisk up here.
I use single layer uninsulated tents even when I snow camp.
My current setup Is a single layer (summer tent) and an old Wenzel bag (circa 1950s) with a military poncho liner inside (helps keep the bag clean inside).
I typically clean up before climbing into the bag (keeps it cleaner longer).
I typically sleep in cutoff jeans and a stocking cap (keeping my head warm helps a bunch).
My cot is a Coleman with the springs around the edges and the pad that came with it (a bit thin for padding but OK insulation).
When anticipating cold weather (snow in June etc) I bring a fuzzy sleeping bag/liner from wallymart to layer inside the main bag. I also partially block the wind scoops on the tent with clear plastic from wallymart’s fabric section.
If the weather is colder than forecasted I have been known to throw the fuzzy rug from the floor of my tent on top of the bag.

If you use a heater (I don’t normally) be absolutely certain to keep enough ventilation (do your research). I have a rather large collection of assorted heaters (from trying to find an acceptable one) and almost all have draw backs , including the Mr. Heater/Buddy products.
The better heaters, IMO, have a mechanical thermostat that helps save propane).

Make sure that the the your sleeping surface is above the layer of cold that accumulates on the floor.

Hope it helps…
Enjoy!

1 Like

wow, thank you, this is GREAT info!!!

You can purchase a winter tent with stove to keep your tent warm, in some cases, you have to purchase a stove separately.

1 Like

We usually build a fire on the ground, then dig a hole in the ground and bury the fire. Install the tent on it, it’s very warm! Hope that helps you.

1 Like

that is genius. how long does this last for? Longer then one night?

I’m not sure how long it lasts, but I woke up in the morning feeling warm.

1 Like

so smart. I went down a youtube rabbit hole about this topic since you brought it up. I’m def trying this!

I am a COLD sleeper! My very favorite (and simplest and cheapest) way to stay warm is to take a disposable body warmer (the hand warmers…but larger size) and put one in the foot of my bag before I get in. Put it inside a hat or sock if you are worried about it getting too “hot” and melting the bag liner. They are meant to stay warm for around 8 hours or more, so if my feet are warm, I’m usually okay! Works almost all the time!

Now, you DO need a bag that’s much colder rating than you think if you are a cold sleeper (I’ll use a Zero degree bag even when it’s 40 at night).

And…wear a hat! Heat escapes the head. It’s amazing how much warmer a hat will make you feel!

Now for my PSA: And no matter what you do, always pack out the trash (the hand warmers). Many have biodegradable bits and pieces, but you can’t just leave them at the campsite.

Stay warm!

1 Like

Hi Amy! I read that us ladies tend to have colder feet (there was some biological explanation) so bags made specifically for women target our colder areas. since I first posted this, I have gotten a 0 degree bag and it has made a huge difference. I love the idea of hand warmers and ironically, I put them in my boots at night when the lot of us are still playing cards, etc but didn’t think to put them in my bag hahaha. I did get booties which are AMAZING. overall, I did a huge upgrade to my whole gear and I feel totally prepared in case the weather drops unexpectedly.
And I PROMISE I am a responsible camper and leave no trace :slight_smile:

Yay for warm bags! Yes…I promise the warmers in the bags are great!

Happy camping from The Dyrt Staff!
Amy - Customer Support Manager

1 Like

Once you have the right tent for your winter camping adventure, the next step is tent insulation, a process that will keep you safer from the cold and other winter threats. Blankets are essential to insulate the inside of a tent, especially on the ground. Placing a thermal blanket at the top of the tent will prevent heat from escaping to the outside of the tent. Another option is to use a heater as a backup source of warm air. There are many battery-powered heaters that you can use for this purpose.

1 Like

Hello! What do you mean by thermal blanket like a fleece blanket? Or do you mean like a heating blanket? I’ve been trying to find a battery operated heater and cannot find one do you have a specific brand or a link? I appreciate you taking the time and the feedback.

Learning how to insulate a tent is very important if you decide to go camping during the winter season. Blankets are essential to insulate inside the tent, especially on the ground. Placing a thermal blanket at the top of the tent will prevent the heat from escaping outside the tent.

1 Like

I was planning my trip last year and a friend told to take blanket hoodies along. I had no idea about that stuff but I bought two upon his suggestion from an online store. I had a wonderful trip with those blanket hoodies as I used one inside the tent and one for roaming around. It completely wraps around your body and its warm cloth keeps you cozy all the time. A highly recommend you to add this to your baggage whenever you are going for camping to enjoy your trip to the fullest.

1 Like

Nice thank you! They look warm!

1 Like

I usually let the canopy tent completely cover my tent at night.

1 Like