Hiking in the rain

do you tough through it or do you set up your tent and wait a bit? I personally like to hike in the rain (atleast for a little while) It adds a chaotic element to the adventure that I enjoy

Keep trucking! That’s my motto…unless there is thunder and lightening within a 10 mile radius. Then it’s time to get off of any exposed terrain and think about finding a place to hunker down while the storm passes. Personally, I don’t even don rain gear when hiking in the rain. The likelihood of me sweating the same amount of moisture while hiking in rain gear has proven equivalent (if not more) to the wetness I experience from hiking in the rain. I save the rain gear for being in camp.

I only hunker down if an electrical storm - I love hiking in the rain :smile:

Hiking in the rain makes it all the more epic! What’s not to love? Easy to keep all your gear dry with a pack cover and a bag liner.

Except when I did the PCT last year, we did 26 days in Washington and only 4 of those were dry all the way through. Got used to waking up in the morning and deciding which pair of socks was slightly less soaked to wear for the day.

1 Like

I love hiking in the rain. I always prep for it so it’s enjoyable instead of inconvenient. Just weatherproof everything beforehand and have a good poncho ready. Unless the terrain is treacherous when wet, I say keep pushing.

1 Like

Hiking in the Rain is very pleasant but some safety tips should be taken while you hike in the rain

Some things to keep in mind:

• Avoid cotton if you can.
  • Go with synthetic insulation in your jacket.
  • Evaluate your rainwear.
  • Renew your rainwear’s Durable Water Repellent (DWR).
  • Evaluate your footwear.
  • Pack gaiters.
    *Satellite Phone for emergency

hiking in the rain is amazing. But safety first! Start with a good equipment

I also love camping in the rain. I feel like I can do anything. When I set up a tent in the rain, it’s like a test that needs to be passed. But there were situations when, for example, I fried meat and the rain just spoiled the dish, since there is no roof or something like that. My close friend recommended a canopy tent to me. I decided to look canopy tent reviews and then I understood why he recommended it to me.

In a lot of places it comes with the territory. Bring the right clothes. Adjust to conditions. Be sure people are warm enough. Cold rain can put a lot of people into hypothermia.

There are plenty of benefits to hiking in the rain. But to get the best out of it, you must be prepared. It’s no fun hiking in the rain when you weren’t ready for it.

For me, here’s my essential wet weather gear:

1. Trekking Poles. Slippery and unstable ground will be what you’ll have to contend with while hiking in the rain. Trekking poles will help provide added stability and support as you walk.
    1. Waterproof Jacket and Pants. These items will help keep you dry and comfortable and will prevent water from seeping through and making you cold and miserable.
    1. Waterproof Boots. Waterproof boots will help keep your feet dry and warm, and will prevent water from entering and damaging the boots.
    1. Rain Hat. A rain hat will help keep the rain off of your face and out of your eyes, and will help you see and navigate the trail more easily.
    1. Rain Gloves: Rain gloves will keep your hands dry and warm, and will prevent your hands from getting cold and uncomfortable while hiking in the rain.
    1. Extra Layers. Extra layers of clothing can provide added warmth and insulation in cold and wet weather, and can help prevent you from getting a chill.
    1. Headlamp. So called, ‘poor’ weather can make it difficult to see the trail, and a headlamp can help you navigate and avoid obstacles and hazards.

A positive mindset is the key to enjoying it. If you’re overly negative about rain while hiking, you’ll obviously never enjoy it. Thinking about the beauty the rain brings to nature will allow you to see the positives.

I wrote more about hiking in the rain on my blog: Hiking in The Rain: What You Should Know - Branch Outdoors

I can tell you that hiking in the rain can be a unique experience. Setting up a tent in the rain can be challenging, and many people prefer to wait until the rain subsides before doing so. However, for those who enjoy the added “chaotic element” to their adventure, hiking in the rain can be an exciting and memorable experience.

Regardless of whether you choose to hike in the rain or wait until it passes, it’s important to be prepared and to take necessary precautions, such as wearing waterproof gear and ensuring that your tent is fully waterproof.

In any case, it’s always best to check the weather forecast and plan accordingly to ensure a safe and enjoyable camping experience.

I like walking in the rain too, it just depends on the season. You can’t do much walking in the fall. We usually hide in a tent. And if it rains and the tent starts to get wet, then we all go to the cars))