Fly fishing and dispersed camping

I am interested in locating any type of camping on or near fly fishing rivers in Colorado. My goal is to locate and camp/hike to fishable waters.

thanks

Check out the Ruby Mountain Campground on the Arkansas river. From there you can hike downstream into Browns Canyon National Monument for some great fly fishing. The river is popular for white water rafting but there is still plenty of fish. The entire length of the river from above Leadville to Canyon City is gold medal waters. Like many Colorado rivers, don’t waste your time during spring/early summer runoff.

Check out the area around South Fork, CO. There are campgrounds in and near town and rivers and lakes just outside of the town. You can also camp and fish near Poage, Lake. There are a few fly shops in South Fork where you can seek local knowledge or hire a guide.

2 Likes

Another great area to check out is the Conejos River. We camped at Aspen Glade campground. Nicely spaced, multiple sites on the river. The area is beautiful, quiet, under rated and the people who know, know that the fishing is amazing!

YES! I love that river. nice. thanks. do you fish?

thanks. do you fish?

Nope, just a hiker. I don’t have the patience.

Yes. I’ve flyfished the area.