Elk Creek Campground in Newcastle, CO

Does anyone have news about this campground? They claim to be taking reservations starting Feb 1, but no one answers the phone or emails. Maybe they’ve closed down? Any suggestions for a campground nearby? Thanks.

From what I read on-line, it looks like this used to be the Glenwood Springs KOA and has changed owners? We were in the area last September and if I recall, it was close to I70 so you will likely hear road noise. We had considered staying there but opted instead to stay at Glenwood Canyon Resort in Glenwood Springs. It was a splurge but we opted for a riverfront site, which was very nice. We also stayed at Rifle Falls State Park - much more rustic with vault toilets only and a very small campground but we enjoyed it very much. Rifle Gap State Park is also nearby and is a larger campground. Good luck!

And if you look at their website it clearly says that it opens May 1. https://elkcreekcamping.com

We stayed here last summer. Its not close to the interstate in fact several miles away so the only noise you’ll hear is that of a small stream that goes right through the property.
The campground and managers were very nice - see my review:

I got an email from them in December saying that they start taking reservations Feb 1. Their answering machine says the same thing.

Rifle Falls was booked already. I got reservations at Rifle Gap. Thank you so much for information/recommendation!

1 Like