Dutch Oven Cooking and RVing

Who else out there loves relaxing around camp and Dutch Oven cooking?? We do!! If you haven’t tried it, what’s keeping you from trying?? Would you start if someone showed you how?? It’s easier than you think!

We try our best to make at least one meal and desert on every weekend get away in our Dutch Ovens. I say ovens plural because I have an addiction. Yes, I’m addicted to collecting and using Lodge Dutch Ovens. I have over 13+ of them now. One of them is a prized possession. It’s my 4th great grandmother’s dutch oven. It’s still in perfect condition. They last multiple lifetimes. It’s so cool to cook a meal in it thinking that my 4th great grandmother did the same thing with it for my 3rd great grandmother! Wow.

Sunday usually ends up being the day for Dutch Oven cooking. Their is something special about spending time over a fire or briquets, preparing food, visiting with family & friends, viewing nature, and spending time while things are cooking…It just brings everyone closer and slows time down.

I need your help!! Should we start carrying Lodge Dutch Oven’s in our www.hitched4fun.com store?? I love them, but would you??

We want to keep this dying art of cooking over fire alive!!

My collection…

4 Likes

We love our Dutch Oven. It’s the best way to cook around the campfire because it takes almost no work, and almost no clean up. Bonus, we can make anything we’d normally make in a regular oven at home: cornbread, Cornish game hens, enchiladas…whatever.

I find the biggest hurdle for using a Dutch oven is just education. Learning the simple tricks is the key: how many coals and where, rotating the oven, using a liner (that’s a big one–because no one wants to scrape a dutch oven). And also recipes. The more Dutch Oven recipes that people have the more they will be reaching for the Dutch Oven.

5 Likes

I agree with you. People just don’t know what can be done in them. I like to tell people to buy an oven and practice with it in their home oven. Experiment with recipes and the process without worrying at first about the coals and regulating temperature. Perfect it, then take it out into the field and impress your fellow campers! One of our favorites is Lasagna.

So you put a pan inside the Dutch Oven? Interesting!

1 Like

I sometimes use a parchment paper liner in the dutch oven, especially at camp when cleanup is a little more challenging.

2 Likes

Dutch Oven Dude

Yes, we use ours quite a bit too. It’s funny, I’ve never been much of a kitchen guy at home but I love making stuff in the dutch oven. Pizza in the lid is my favorite for sure.

3 Likes

I really hate to sound like an idiot but what is a Dutch oven

1 Like

Hi Tania - Good question! A Dutch oven is basically a sturdy metal pot with a thick, tight fitting lid. The first ones I remember seeing were made of cast iron with a rim around the lid so you could use it in a campfire. You could put hot coals in the lid so it could be used like an oven to bake bread or biscuits. Now you can get fancier ones that you can use in your home oven to bake bread and things.

1 Like

http://www.dutchovendude.com/recipes.php

Get yourself a good one & enjoy. A real simple way to make some great food, and its fun.

1 Like

Thought this group may enjoy this video about Gourmet Camp Cooking & Baking: https://youtu.be/96X3FUWQ5Y8
Fun techniques and recipes for newbies and long time campers alike!

2 Likes

I use the foil liners when cooking for a crowd - also great for lifting out and serving from the table with little ones around. Makes clean up a breeze!

3 Likes

Yep it makes clean up super easy. Agreed.

2 Likes

You can stack the ovens too to share the coals. Get desert going while your main dish is cooking… Yum!

3 Likes

There are various choices when it come to ovens and I mostly use outdoor ovens like pizza ovens whenever I go out for an outdoor activity. Personally I love GYBER Hayes 12-Inch Outdoor Pizza Oven. This is better than other ordinary ovens.

1 Like

I love Dutch Oven cooking. This is from our camp south of Lake Havasu City last winter - Sweet & Sour Chicken. I converted a fire pit to my DO stand by placing 1/8" T x 2" W x 10" L Aluminum flat in the bottom. The aluminum couldn’t handle the weight, so a friend cut down some stainless channel and it works great.

Dutch Oven is great. I purchased this Pot from the StormRaven However, still a little bit small.
I hope to find one with a bigger size so I could cook with one pot and stove for family.

Man, Dutch Oven cooking and RVing go together like peanut butter and jelly! It’s all about those chill vibes and good eats, right? I totally understand your addiction to collecting Lodge Dutch Ovens – they’re like the MVPs of outdoor cooking.

And how cool is it that you have your 4th great-grandmother’s Dutch oven? That’s some serious family history right there. Cooking with it must feel like a connection to the past, bringing generations together over the same fire.

I’m all about those Sunday Dutch Oven sessions, too. There’s something magical about slow-cooking meals while kickin’ back with fam and friends, surrounded by nature’s beauty. It’s like time slows down, and you get to savor every moment.

Oh, and speaking of cookin’, I recently learned how to make pico de gallo – talk about a flavor explosion!

1 Like