Camping in New Mexico

My family is looking to camp somewhere in New Mexico for a couple of nights on Memorial Day weekend on our way from Oklahoma to the Grand Canyon. Within an hour or two of I-40 would be ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks

On our trip back from the Grand Canyon to Illinois we stayed at the Grants Koa near Grants, New Mexico. It has nice spots and is located near a lava rock field. It is also along Route 66 and their are some cool things in Grants. It is just off I-40.

El Malpais Nat’l. Monument is a few miles off I-40. It has a huge natural arch, hiking trails through the lava fields, and an ice cave not too far down the road to the west. They have a campground there too! Just past Laguna Pueblo going west but not as far as Grants.

1 Like

That place looks cool. Thanks Dennis

There is some dispersed camping just east Gallup, NM if you’re just looking for a sleep and go situation.

In addition to El Malpais, I was going to suggest El Morro NM which is in the same area and you’d be doing what so many other travelers have done before you, stopping by this fascinating rock; you just can’t add your mark! The campground is first come, first serve. You’re going to find it challenging to get reservations this late for the holiday weekend. I also looked at Bandelier’s 2 campgrounds (farther from the highway) and those are the only days without availability. El Morro NM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We decided we’d stay at Manzano Mountains State Park south of Albuquerque. We’ll be there for 4 nights before we head to the Grand Canyon. So we’re definitely looking for some day trips in the area. I was thinking Sandia Peak and I think there are maybe trails up to the top of some of the nearby peaks. Any day trip suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

LOTS to see and do around Monzano Mtns. Salinas Pueblo Missions Nat’l. Monument has 3 sites worth visiting, one you will drive by getting to the State Park. They set the stage for a clash of cultures when Spaniards met Pueblo Natives. If you have the right vehicle, a drive up to Capilla (pronounced Ka-pee-ya) Peak will put you on top of the world! Little Mountainair, NM has some fine art and don’t miss the hardware store! (?) If a good road and lots of people are your thing, the Sandia Crest is okay, but I think your time is better spent off the beaten path." IMHO