Best family camping in Iowa?

We’re looking to do some overnight trips closer to home in Iowa and would like to find a family-friendly campground we can go to with our granddaughter (almost 2). A beach would be great as she loves the water. Lakeshore RV Resort and Campground (on the PRO list) sounded great except their restrooms are not open due to COVID so it was a dealbreaker. Looking to be within two hours of Des Moines and would love recommendations as we usually go much farther from home!

Have you checked out Prairie Flower? It’s a COE park on Saylorville Lake. Electric sites only but easy access to potable water. The C loop has nice large concrete pads and a paved path that leads to beach. Nice playgrounds for kids and clean restrooms and showers. Only 20 mins from Desmoines.

Thanks, Ken. This looks like it is worth checking out.

My pleasure, you can check it out and make reservations on recreation.gov. Rates are $22 a day and If you purchase a Sr. Pass (age 62+ I think) rates is $11. You can use this pass at all COE campgrounds and National Parks. Lifetime pass is $85 one time.

@Ken_W - it may have changed but the Recreation.gov website says this one is not reservable. No worries - we live close enough that we should be able hopefully snag a site during the week. At any rate, we’re going to check it out ahead of time as it sounds like a great place to take our granddaughter. And yes, we (my husband) have the senior pass.