Arkansas' camping reputation

I’ve heard that Arkansas is the most underrated camping state. Why? Anyone from there please explain?

I live in Missouri and camp in Arkansas quite a bit. If I dont have the time to make it across Kansas to heavenly CO, Arkansas has plenty of activities, beautiful campsites and remote locations to be a great substitute.

I have found that Arkansas really does have some great locations!!! Their state parks are very nice, they even have an exclusive tax in the state which allows for their outdoor spaces to keep their parks free to enter and maintained for those visiting. Sure there are some older parks still like any other state but the locations for the most part are much more plentiful than many states. Lots of hiking, water sports etc accessible from campsites and the resources in their visitor centers are very nice!!!

Born and raised in Arkansas so I may be a bit biased, but we have some great campgrounds. I tend to lean towards the State Parks because they are so well kept, but there are plenty of COE sites and of course off the grid in our National Forests. :slight_smile:

Truth. Being from AR, it’s easy to be biased, but we have campgrounds in virtually any type of environment you may want. From the mountains in the north and west, to delta areas in the south and east. Plus camping is available close to some of the bigger metro areas. Usually the state parks would be my first choice, but there are some nice COE parks as well.

Arkansas is great. Been to Lake DeGRay, Ouachita, Lake Catherine and Petit Jean. All amazing with nice campsites, plenty of hiking and water activities as well.

Lifelong resident. Fantastic state to visit and camp in. Seems like we were built on 2 things: tourism and tourism. Mountains, river valleys, delta, natural and man made lakes, amazing streams, creeks and rivers to float and fish. Pick what you want and come on.

I haven’t camped there, but their state parks are bonkers compared to mine. It seems like nice cabins, lodges, laundry facilities, and swimming pools are a regular feature of Arkansas state parks. My sister moved there for about two and it was a looooong drive or expensive flight, so I didn’t get to check out too many.

We have camped a lot in Arkansas, and absolutely think their state park campgrounds are the best. The only one we didn’t love was Moro Bay, because of 3 huge spotlights that killed stargazing on the camp loop.

Lake Catherine, Daisy, Moro Bay, Petit Jean, Village Creek, & Mount Magazine are the state parks we’ve camped in. By the Buffalo River, private parks we’ve camped aare Shady Oaks CG near Harrison, and Wanderlust CG by Eureka Springs…top notch as well.

So yeah, even though our friends back in Ohio think we’re goofy about loving Arkansas, I say they’re missing out on some great scenery.

1 Like

Like everybody says, great camping. But if you plan on the state parks, you better make your reservations at least 6 mos. out, and if you want a particular campsite, a year out. Don’t know for a fact, but I assume it’s like that at all state parks nowadays.

1 Like