Anyone made their own used conversion van?

I definitely can’t afford a Sprinter or anything like that. I’m curious to hear from anyone whose converted a van that’s not the typical instagram #vanlife type vehicle.

1 Like

Ours is “store-bought (Roadtrek),” so I can’t tell you too much. However, a friend of ours wanted to “save” money, and bought a van and did some nice basic conversions (bed, ice box, porta potti, water jugs, etc.) By our “self contained” standards, it’s functional, but somewhat primitive. Not only that, but after the cost of a new van and the cost of “conversion,” it was only about 10 grand less than our unit off the shelf. BTW, I’m not all that sold on Mercedes chassis; ours is on a Chevy chassis, and never had any problem finding parts or fixing it. I would, however, like to have better ground clearance and 4WD…

I bought a 2004 GMC Savana that was already built out by the previous owners, who lived in it for a year and a half. So I don’t have any experience building one out myself. It’s pretty primitive, but so am I :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be following this thread. I like many others are enamored by the thought of a self-contained van camper. I am not interested in new or even a new donor van to begin the project, but with used vehicle prices so high currently…this has moved to the back burner until used vehicle prices drop. However, I have spent a little bit of time perusing the web for windows, shelving, drawers, etc for interior outfitting. Like Gary M. I would like a 4WD van.