Anyone made their own used conversion van?

I definitely can’t afford a Sprinter or anything like that. I’m curious to hear from anyone whose converted a van that’s not the typical instagram #vanlife type vehicle.

1 Like

Ours is “store-bought (Roadtrek),” so I can’t tell you too much. However, a friend of ours wanted to “save” money, and bought a van and did some nice basic conversions (bed, ice box, porta potti, water jugs, etc.) By our “self contained” standards, it’s functional, but somewhat primitive. Not only that, but after the cost of a new van and the cost of “conversion,” it was only about 10 grand less than our unit off the shelf. BTW, I’m not all that sold on Mercedes chassis; ours is on a Chevy chassis, and never had any problem finding parts or fixing it. I would, however, like to have better ground clearance and 4WD…

1 Like

I bought a 2004 GMC Savana that was already built out by the previous owners, who lived in it for a year and a half. So I don’t have any experience building one out myself. It’s pretty primitive, but so am I :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be following this thread. I like many others are enamored by the thought of a self-contained van camper. I am not interested in new or even a new donor van to begin the project, but with used vehicle prices so high currently…this has moved to the back burner until used vehicle prices drop. However, I have spent a little bit of time perusing the web for windows, shelving, drawers, etc for interior outfitting. Like Gary M. I would like a 4WD van.

1 Like

Did my own build minus the upholstery (hired it out, covered up my rough carpentry work, lol). Finished it out in 2 months, <$10k. Short vid if interested.

1 Like

NICE!! Watched your video! Well thought out & engineered! Were you a “bubblehead (submariner)?” Looks like the way they stow everything perfectly :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Gary! And yes, indeed I am a submariner Vet (USS Spadefish SSN 668). Recently put a submarine dolphin sticker on the back. Heading out full-time June 1.

2 Likes

I thought so. I’ve seen two van campers (and now yours) with ingenious use of space, and both were submariners. I’m seeing an efficiency trend here :wink: I never relished the idea of months under water…

1 Like

I currently am rolling in my no build van build NV200. It is small but mighty and has excellent fuel economy. In the UK these are very popular conversions, but here in the states they haven’t caught on as much so it has been really fun to have something so small to work with.
MY NV200 NO BUILD

We have made our own camping van. It is not a full timer and not a winter van . I wanted something to ‘camp’ in for lang road trips and such. And we had planned to do the carnival sells thing cross country again. It has a full sized queen bed and porta potty thing inside and a chuckwagon type kitchen in the back. I hate the idea of cooking inside of whatever I am sleeping in so that was important to me. We travel with a big dumb love of a dog and he needs room to stretch out so can’t have much on the floor as way of furniture or storage. I got a 900 Jackery for boondocking power and have a great set up for cooking. I made my own awnings and we have an easyup canopy. So far it has been pretty comfy for me.

just bought mine and getting ready to start my build soon. its not a conversion, but a cutaway.