Gardner , WEST VIRGINIA

LIMITED TIME OFFER Try Pro Free for 3 Months

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Gardner Camping Reviews
Great facility, whispering pines is far from lake though.

Stayed here in February 2021 at the Whispering Pines camp. Facilities are great, sites are close but not right on top of each other. Camping pads are as expected from state park. Great off-season camping as we shared the whole grounds with only a few other campers.

Only complaints are Whispering Pines is near enough to the main road that you get a lot of road noise, and the walking path to the lake has un-maintained stream crossings, which is probably ok in summer… but not as fun in winter.

Never stayed. Only ran

The area and cabins looked very cozy and welcoming; however, I didn’t stay in one. We hiked and ran in the trail system on site. Beautiful vistas and great opportunities for many activities.

Car camping

My pup and I car camped here last December and it was wonderful. Limited to no AT&T cell service; however, the park rangers drove through the area about twice a night so I always felt safe and knew I could use their phones if needed.

Wish we had stayed longer

We stopped in one night on our way back to Pennsylvania. We had a lovely stay and the hosts were so hospitable. We purchased firewood and they walked it to our campsite. Our site was plenty large and the concrete pad was perfectly level. It was our last night of the season so we spent a lot of time in the morning cleaning out our gray and black tanks. We are pretty COVID cautious given some health conditions and this campground was very comfortable. I’d love to go back and see more of the areas.

Adventures Abound

My daughter and I had a fabulous stay here. We camped in our tent for 2 nights on the mountaintop campsite. We were able to go whitewater rafting one day and then explored the surrounding area on another day. The resort is awesome. They have cabins with hot tubs. We want to go back and stay there sometime. The park has so much to do including trails, swimming, and an awesome water park. Of course, they offer multiple whitewater rafting trips from beginner to advanced including the Gauley River. The campground is very clean and the staff were very helpful. It is very family friendly. You can bring the whole family or go as a couple's weekend getaway. The surrounding mountajns and valleys are absolutely beautiful. The New River Gorge Bridge is not too far and I highly recommend going there to see it. This area is gorgeous and should not be missed.

Adventures Abound

My daughter and I had a fabulous stay here. We camped in our tent for 2 nights on the mountaintop. We were able to go whitewater rafting one day and then explored the surrounding area on another day. The resort is awesome. They have cabins and they have hot tubs. We want to go back and stay there sometime. The park has so much to do including trails, swimming, and an awesome water park. The campground is very clean and the staff were very helpful. The surrounding mountajns andvalleys are absolutely beautiful. The New River Gorge Bridge is not too far and I highly recommend going there to see it. This area is gorgeous and shkuld not be missed.

Beautiful Area

We stayed here 4 days and 3 nights in November. We use a teardrop camper so we appreciated the water and electric hookup (although we disconnected the water at night to prevent freezing). The sites are large but there really aren’t trees between sites although we were on a corner and so had some sense of privacy. The bathrooms were incredibly clean and heated. Showers were terrific as well. Staff were kind and knowledgeable. A stream runs beside the campground and the lake, though small, is nice to paddle around in a kayak. We arrived the day after trout stocking and so there were quite a few fishermen in the stream and on the lake. I caught a few large trout in the stream on a fly but it really was a bit like fishing in a barrel. There are many hiking trails nearby with a variety of difficulty. We chose a couple that provided nice views. I imagine it would be a great place for kids.

One of our favorite spots in WV

We camped at Pipestem in a 37' travel trailer. We love this campground. Quiet, well spaced, nice roads for biking. We enjoyed lots of the amenities, including the horseback riding, nature center and giant water inflatables.

Good spot for the night

Stopped by on my way up north. Beautiful view of the river, which was high. There’s 5 pull in sites and 5 walk in tent sites. Multiple bathrooms, including ADA friendly, all clean. There were 2 other campers on a Saturday night, which was nice and quiet. It’s about 5 miles down a nice dirt road, easy to drive on. There’s no AT&T service upon arrival. A few spots you could locate a bar to send a message, but that’s it. Lots of trees to hang a hammock. Each site had a fire ring, picnic table and a pole to hang food from. No electricity or water so be sure to bring your own. Overall, enjoyed my stay!

Small but clean

Clean “little” camp ground. It would be a nice little place to spend the night if you were in the area doing other things. Not a place to spend a long weekend unless you have other plans around the area. Small site and on top of each other. Don’t know if we will be back or not!