Yurts
About Kalaloch Campground

Kalaloch Campground is located on the southwest coast of the Olympic Peninsula in Olympic National Park, on a high bluff adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. Although campsites are not directly on the beach, several of them overlook the water and there is beach access within the facility. The campground is large and set amidst a peaceful, coastal forest that thrives on the regions high annual rainfall. Rain or shine, it is one of the most visited areas of the park.

Natural Features:

Kalaloch, meaning "a good place to land" in the Quinault language, has no shortage of natural areas to explore. The Pacific shoreline just below provides ample habitat for marine life: tide pools reveal crabs and sea urchins at low tide; sea otters float on the surface of submerged kelp beds; shorebirds nest on beaches; and whales and dolphins occasionally emerge offshore. Beyond the national parks 73 miles of coastline lie three national wildlife refuges and one marine sanctuary.

Recreation:

Near the campground and lodge, trails and steps descend about 40 ft. to the beach. There are several beaches, tide pools, scenic overlooks and trails to explore. The Kalaloch Creek Nature Trail is a mile-long walk through the forest along Kalaloch Creek, which drains into the ocean. There are accessible lookout points at Ruby Beach and Beach Trail 4.

Kalaloch is known for birding; species such as western gulls and bald eagles are frequently sighted. Visitors may even spot a puffin. Fishing and shellfish harvesting is allowed under state and park regulations.

Swimming is possible, however the Kalaloch area is known for large drifting logs that can pose a threat to swimmers as they wash ashore. Swimmers should also be aware of potentially dangerous rip tides.

Facilities:

Kalaloch Campground is a large facility with 168 campsites, including one group site and four accessible sites. Each site has campfire rings with grates and picnic tables. Food lockers and drinking water are available at campground loop restrooms. There are no hookups at this facility, though a dump station is available for a $5 fee. The nearest shower facility is nine miles away, and campers can purchase firewood and other goods at a nearby general store.

Sites
161
Fee Info
"Walk In" means "All First-Come, First-Served".
National Park Service
No Sewer Hookups
No WiFi
Kalaloch Campground is located in Olympic National Park in Washington
Directions
Kalaloch Campground is on Highway 101, 34 miles south of Forks, Washington, and 73 miles north of Aberdeen, Washington.
42 Reviews of Kalaloch Campground
The PNW Rocks

I really enjoyed the it there and the view of the beach is beautiful. Camping was great was only there to set up a hammock and get back on the road. Lots of lighthouses around to check out and hiking. The outcroppings in the ocean are so neat, the water was a bit chilly and it was misty in the mornings and evening down by the beach. This part of the country is so interesting, Never a dull minute.

Classic Pacific Northwest Coastal Camping!!

Beautiful location. Lush and green private sites with easy access to the beach. Lots of logs and features. This place is stunning!

Prepare for rain as it will likely still rain in the summer with cooler evenings.

This is an older campground so the bathrooms are older but they are flush toilets. No showers at this campground.

Beauty near the beach

I loved our night at Kalaloch Campground.

As we made our way up Highway 101, we were able to get a last minute reservation at Kalaloch for the night (which apparently can be rare).

It is about 11 minutes south of Ruby Beach (photos!) and has immediate beach access as well. There are fire pits, picnic tables, potable water and restrooms. No showers however. Its a pretty decent sized campground with over 160 campsites. No cell service at all which is good and bad (depending on if you need to to find the place!)

One of the only campsites on the west coast of Washington that is technically part of/near Olympic National park. We loved it!

Ocean front camping!

These campsites fill up quickly! Although there are rougly 170 sites at this location, only a handful have ocean views. If you want one with an ocean view, get there early. Be warned, though, driftwood can wash up and leave your site a little messy. There was quite a bit of driftwood floating around when I was trying to swim. If the water had been any rougher it would've been dangerous to swim near it.

There are flush toilets on the campground and sites have a picnic table as well as fire ring. You cannot collect driftwood for your fire. You'll have to either purchase it at the ranger station or a convenience store.

The Hoh Rain Forest is about a 45 minute to an hour drive away. However, if that's your primary reason for visiting, there are closer campgrounds available.

The wild beaches of Kalaloch

Loved this place! We visited for our 2nd wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. Amazing views! Salty air and were put to sleep by the sound of waves every night. Be prepared to reserve your spot 6 months in advance and there is no guarantee on good weather. Happy adventuring!! **no showers for those who may need them.

Incredible views!

This is a gorgeous site! Definitely fills up fast in the summer but it is definitely worth a stay. Loved Ruby beach and even though it was overcast 1/2 the day we still had an amazing time. The coast is just so beautiful!

Wish it would stop raining.....

We stayed here only for one night because of the rain we left several days early. We had hoped to visit Olympic Nat'l Park and go hiking. During our short visit at Kalaloch, we enjoyed playing on the beach and playing under the roots of a famous tree cave. There are lots of sites - no hookups, restrooms with no shower facilities and a pay dump station. Some sites overlook the water but there is a steep drop to get down to the beach.

Super nice right on the beach!

This campground is super nice, right on the beach. Make reservations though since it can fill up during the summer fast. Beautiful spot. you won't regret it.

Close to the Beach, But Fills Outrageously Fast

First off, let me say that I'm definitely no stranger to campgrounds filling up quickly. I frequently camp in Zion and Arches, and those campgrounds fill up super fast- but NOTHING fills up faster than the beach access sites at Kalaloch. We camped there on a Tuesday night in August (so summer, but not a weekend) and of the 8-10 beach access sites that were available when I looked the night before I booked (six months in advance), every single one of them was gone when I got on within 10 minutes of reservations going live. It was INSANE. So I had to scramble, and booked a couple of sites next to each other (since we were camping with a group that was too large for a single campsite). I've never experienced anything quite like the speed with which this campground filled up. If you want a beach access campsite, I would definitely recommend being right on time and being ready to go! One disclaimer I should give is also that I didn't spend an extraordinary amount of time in this campground. We arrived pretty late at night (in the dark, around 10pm) and left early-ish in the morning (around 830/9). and didn't have much time to explore around the campground. So my review might not be the most complete, but I'll give it based on the knowledge that I have. My biggest complaint (which is a common-ish one for me, but this campground was the worst I've experienced) was that the tent area was absolutely rock hard. I'm by no stretch of the imagination an incredibly strong woman, but I really struggled to get the stakes into the ground for our tent. In a wet coastal environment where you want to stay dry, staking out your tent and fly is important, and it was really frustrating trying to get those dang stakes into that hard ground, especially in the dark. Another small gripe, that may have been magnified by the fact that we had just stayed in the very secluded Newhalem Campground in the North Cascades the night before, was that the campsites we stayed in (A055 and A056) were pretty much right on the side of the road though the campground. We essentially parallel parked, and set up our tents maybe 15 feet from the road. The sites were a little small (in fact one member of our group sneaked farther back into the bushes to set up his tarp and sleeping pad in a little more seclusion and space) and being right along the road definitely made at least those sites not a place I'd want to relax in. This is likely one campground where the site you're in can make or break your experience. My last small gripe is going to sound outrageously vain, but the bathrooms were a little small, there was only one sink, and the only mirror was above the sink. I like to have a mirror to make sure my face is clean and my hair looks decent, but I don't necessarily need a sink. When I went to the bathroom in the morning a woman spent almost 15 minutes standing in front of the only mirror, washing her face and doing her hair. It would've been nice to have had another mirror so she didn't "hog" the sink and the only mirror. The GOOD THINGS about this campground are the accessibility to the amazing beach, nice paved roads (so no dust), and lots of greenery. The air felt very fresh and clean here, and it was a cool experience for those of us from the desert to sleep in a place with so much green! The bathrooms were also very clean (if small) and the campground's directions were straightforward and clear.

beautiful views

There were so many campgrounds to choose from in the park, we didn’t get to stay in them all, but this campground is at the top of our list for next time. The views were beautiful. It actually takes reservations, which most of the campground in the area do not.