Yurts
Equestrian
About Pocahontas State Park
Pocahontas State Park is located in Virginia
43 Reviews of Pocahontas State Park
One night, more to explore

Would totally go back. We camped one night after picking up a new camper. Great looking water park for kiddos.

Sites were not level which we weren’t completely prepared for. We made do.

Parents camp there often and love it.

Beautiful Central VA Park

I’ve never camped here, but I took a group of elementary school kids here several years ago on their first canoeing trip and really enjoyed this park, which is a really good day trip option for anyone living in Central VA.

Pocohontas Pretty

The sites are gravel, spacious, and private in the newer section of the campground. There is a very nice “water park” type pool for kids (and adults) of all ages. We have enjoyed the hiking and biking trails a lot.  The park has lots of places to go fishing on the water or on shore.  We bring the canoe and kayaks for the lake, but you can rent a wide variety of boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards.

When you wanna get away but not to far.

I gotta say every time I go camping fishing or kayaking Pocahontas for me takes the cake it’s close to home so the drive isn’t long and the drive in is really nice the staff have all been super helpful and nice I only give this a four star because I will day there are a very small handful of sites that need some work but for me I always make things work.

Very nice campground - out in the woods but close to everything

We stayed here during The Heatwave of July 2019 (ugh) when the "feels like" temperature was up to 111 degrees.  Because of that, we had to limit our outdoor time, but we still enjoyed our stay.

Our site was reasonably level once we backed in all the way, shaded, and close to the bathhouse.  (Sites in the first loop have more shade than those in the second loop.)

We enjoyed touring the (air conditioned) nature center and CCC museum in the park, and the pool was wonderful!

Really hope we can visit again to take advantage of the trails, kayaking, and everything else this beautiful state park offers!

More pictures and info about our stay is on my blog:

Relaxing camp

Pocahontas camping is easy and close to home

Lots of great outdoor activities

Pocahontas State Park has really nice campsites that are well kept and decently spaced apart. We visited on a weekday and had all the trails to ourselves, which was wonderful. Trails were clearly marked and easy to navigate. If you like canoeing or kayaking you can do so in Swift Creek.

If you venture outside the park, you are in the Richmond, VA area with many places to eat and shop.

So much fun!

Pocahontas is one of the funner State Park campgrounds we've been to. The campsites are great, nice and flat, with a fire ring and picnic table. There are a lot of RV's here, which is a negative for us. Our site was not very private, but it did have electricity and was close to the bathrooms. Not a ton of bugs, great weather. The best part is if you are camping here you get free entry to the Water Park! Which is super fun, the kids love it. There's a splash pad and a water slide and a couple regular pools. It wasn't too busy in the middle of June. Also great hiking here! Love the location is close to Richmond, so there is fun things to do there as well.

Great park

Nice

Wide open spaces

Beautiful campground , lots to do but very very long walk to the lake it's best to drive your car from your site to the lake.