Yurts
About Lake Anna State Park
Lake Anna State Park is located in Virginia
10 Reviews of Lake Anna State Park
Paddling 🛶

Love paddling around this park. Nice sites, well-maintained, close to Lake Anna Winery, Lake Anna Tap House, and Vito’s Pizza (among other things).

beautiful lake

As I've mentioned in other reviews, I grew up on Lake Anna. Much of my childhood was spent on the lake, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I love it here. Lake Anna State Park is small, but very nice with a lot of amenities. There are a relatively small number of campsites, so plan you trip in advance, especially during holiday weekends.

The place has plenty to offer though. Fishing, hiking trials, horseback trails, an old gold mine, the lake, a gift shop, biking trails, picnic tables, and probably anything else you need. There are cabins that you can rent as well.

As far as the lake goes, definitely try out some water sports while you're visiting. There are also some really good fishing spots.

Be sure to check out Lake Anna Winery and Coyote Hole Ciderworks. The latter of the two is my favorite place to grab an adult drink in the area. If you're looking for some sea food, you can drive your boat (if you have one) right up to Tim's On The Lake and grab a bite to eat. After your meal you can walk along the small boardwalk and grab some ice cream from one of the shops below the restaurant.

Be warned, once you visit, you're going to want to buy a house on Lake Anna.

Nice but crowded

Very nice, plenty to see and do, but very crowded and noisy, even after quite time.

very nice place

Lots of things to do and huge.

Good weekend getaway outside of the summertime

The campground is well off the main road which means you have very little noise and light pollution. We camped in our smaller tent and had the rain fly off so we could stare at the stars all night. It was awesome.

The sites feel close together and many are exposed albeit a few seem sectioned off. We came in the summer and those trees helped create a cozier feel, but we could definitely see people and hear everyone else's conversations. In fact, there was a lodge about 400' away from our campsite and we could hear them until around 10pm. Seemed like a younger crowd, so no harm no foul.

It was insanely hot when we went. Something like 100% humidity and 93 F in the day. It only got down to 74 F at night which meant we were constantly sweating unless we were in front of our little battery powered fan. Oh, that sweet little fan paid for itself. Honestly, it was so hot I think we could have easily called it quits after the first night.

The lake is a 15 minute walk down a clear trail called Campground Walkway Trail. There is a pretty intense climb that is much harder coming back, so probably best to leave the flip flops and go shoes or hiking sandals. The trail takes you to a semi-private beach. It is close to the main beach, but it is separated by a wall. The real treat is if you take the loop along the water called the Railroad Ford Trail. It's 1.5 miles that takes you along a gentle slope along the water. That's where I took my pics hanging the hammock.

The boat traffic was LOUD and could be heard all the way at our camp site. They really know how to start early and stay late.

Wildlife is minimal including snakes. The campground host said a woman was bit by a copperhead recently on her exposed big toe. There are quite a few spiders since you are so close to the water, but the insects were not bad within the campground. A couple got into the tent, but I didn't dare tell the wife.

The campground hosts checked in frequently and were VERY nice. The showers were free and expansive. There was even a coke machine with many outlets for people to charge their devices.

Overall, this was a good campsite that will be better suited to Spring/Autumn weather conditions. If you are going to get in the water, try and stay somewhere else unless the weather cools down while you are there or you have a way to escape the heat.

Horses back riding

Wonderful place, very beautiful! of courses, horses loved It too!

Great Park for Outdoor Activities

For being a state park, Lake Anna is one of the best I've been to. Although we only tent camped, I noticed a lot of things about the campground that would welcome RVs as well. There were large back-in sites as well as pull-through sites. There was also a dump station. Campers can choose sites with or without electricity. This campground is ADA accessible with the lantern hangers having lower hooks for those in wheelchairs, and at least one of the cabins has a wheelchair ramp. The bath house was clean, and I especially liked the privacy of individual shower rooms. Since it is a state park, it lacks some amenities that privately owned campgrounds have, but camping in a state park is about enjoying the natural features of the park, There are opportunities for motor boating, kayaking, swimming, hiking, fishing, etc. The only downside I found was that the grass really needed mowing. Even though there had been a few rainy days, the grass at our campsite was knee high and higher.

Such a lovely campground. Large sites, nice facilities and lots of stuff to do nearby. Hiking right within park.

Amazing

Always come here for fourth of July and it is quite a show there are a bunch of activities to do

Sister wives and glamping

We usually take a trip with the 3 families but all buy one set of the men fill stayed behind leaning us with 3 women, 5 children and one man, thus the title.

It was early March so we had a little cabin, which was adorable and had electricity and we used a space heater and were very toasty. The fellow next door had an r.v. and were watching television outside as we roasted marshmallows. They get yelling and laughing about how they were "glamping". All the kids thought they were hilarious.

There are great trails, clean amenities, plenty of places to swim when it's warms and get your water sports on.

The kids still talk about this trip.