Camping in Shortt Gap

154 Reviews of 17 Shortt Gap, Virginia Campgrounds

k
Reviewed Sep. 10, 2021

The Hostess with the Mostest

Getting close to dark on a holiday weekend when we found this place. The hostess was very friendly and welcoming, even offered to deliver our firewood since we were on motorcycles.

Month of VisitOctober
SThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2021

Snuggled in the Mountains

I love this place try to stay her twice a year. Deer and wildlife aglore. Owners very pleasant. Big recreation building and nice cabins. Quite and spacious sites. Only down fall is if you have a big fifth wheel turning into the off road area trailer may hit box of your truck. Caution may damage…

David F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2021

Fun and Adventure for all

We state at the tent campsites for 4 days. Very clean and well kept. I will say the outhouses were a bit rough, but most are—a lot of hiking and sightseeing. I could not be there during prime trout season, so I didn't get any fishing in. I would recommend this state park.

• Play button icon
SiteSite 12
Clayton S.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2021

Whitetop Mountain

Nice spot to pitch a tent or for car camping. Whitetop mountain has some of the best views in VA and is very popular for watching sunsets.

Robyn W.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2021

Waaaay up in the mountains

If you are fearless and willing to take your RV up a beautiful small winding road into the mountains this is the place for you. However, for myself it rained… so it was quite the experience driving up and considering the limited visibility. Also when I arrived at my site there was no power on the…

Missy A.
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2021

So peaceful

Enjoyed my stay at the Helton Creek campground. Very peaceful and friendly

Jessica D.
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Wooded retreat on a creek

I stayed at site 19 which was located right on the creek. Ample space at the site. Dollar General a short drive to Sugar Grove for any forgotten items.

M
Reviewed Jul. 7, 2021

Hidden Gem

This is an amazing park.

It was clean, we had beautiful views, people were great.

This is a peaceful place! We can’t wait to go back.

Alexandra T.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 17, 2021

Beautiful, Quiet, Off-Grid

Loved this spot - we got lucky and parked right next to a swimming hole, had a gorgeous swim and enjoyed our time. No service, off-grid, really lovely.

Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Wooded sites along the river

This is a beautiful campground located alongside a stream with trout fishing. Site#2 in particular is susceptible to flash flooding, but if the forecast is for dry weather, it would be hard to beat this site. Opening delayed in 2021 because of difficulty getting a campground host, but volunteers…

Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Infrastructure decline means limited primitive camping

Grindstone campground is a large, primitive NF site that will only have a single loop(Opossum) open with no water or electricity for 2021 and the foreseeable future.  I spoke with volunteers who stated there are extensive infrastructure needs and no funds to complete the repairs. So, if you have a…

Reviewed Jun. 1, 2021

Wild horses, beautiful trails and views

This was my third time here, but the first time in 25+ years. This is a wonderful state park located near the high point of Virginia, Mt Rogers, and as such, it is a popular destination for hikers. Oh, and there is that other natural attraction, the wild ponies that roam the mountains. It’s not…

• Grayson Highlands SP Site 60
  • Grayson Highlands SP Site 61
  • Grayson Highlands SP Site 62
Site66, 34
Ron P.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 20, 2021

Great views

Enjoyed the weekend. Very nice campground. Great pull through spots with great views.

No consistent cell service and no wifi if you need to work. Good excuse to shut down and enjoy the creation.

Ron P.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 20, 2021

Great State Park - Beautiful Views

Very nice park. Easy pull through lots for RVs that have great views.

Only downside is phone signal. . . Not that your should need it, but sometimes we camp during the work week. Not an option here. Just enjoy the quiet.

Anne F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 14, 2021

Remote and wonderful

We did 3 hikes and they were all fantastic. Hiked to the highest point in Virginia, saw ponies and followed a beautiful river. We saw cool trees and rock formations. We really loved it. We stayed in a yurt and that was wonderful too. Really delightful.

Siteyurt 4